New sink install - p trap and drain are different sizes

Old 01-26-07, 10:31 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New sink install - p trap and drain are different sizes

I'm installing a new sink and faucet and I notice that the P trap and the drain from the new sink are two different sizes (Drain = 1 1/4", P trap = 1 3/4"). Is there a certain coupler that I should be using in order to marry the two?
I noticed that there was a rubber gasket when I was over at one of the big boxes, but I wasn't sure if that is what I should be using.
I'm hoping that I don't have to replace all the existing plumbing that is under the sink right now.

Old 01-26-07, 11:18 AM
S
Your post doesn't go into quite enough detail to determine exactly what you have here however there are transition fittings and adapters for almost any possible situation regarding sink drain connections.

Your first mistake was going to a big box where there was nobody to help you to get the fittings you needed.

Go to a real hardware store and ask the help there for the proper parts you need for your specific situation.I know for a fact that the plumbing planogram for all Ace Hardware stores includes a variety of transition fittings and adapters that will do what you need.

This may be as simple as an adapting slip joint nut to one of several versions of transition couplings.

Old 01-26-07, 11:44 AM
M
Thanks spdavid.
I'll try that.

Old 01-26-07, 06:51 PM
K
Lav sink? You need a 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 slip ring.

Old 01-27-07, 02:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I've never seen a 1 3/4" p trap. Certainly it is a 1 1/2". If so, there are adapters and rings to accommodate the transition.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: