Tub Spout Diverter Question

Old 02-12-07, 07:01 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tub Spout Diverter Question

My diverter is on my tub spout and it is only 2 years old but when I engage it, water just shoots faster thru the tub spout and doesn't come thru the shower.

When I first installed it 2 years ago, it worked perfectly but as time went by, it got harder and harder to get it to work. We would have to jiggle it or hold it up manually for 15 seconds, then quickly let it drop and pull-up real fast.

Another clue: We have well water at about 50 psi. When putting the water on full cold only (or hot only), it would not engage, but when having it on warm water, (which equals more noticeably more volume) it would work. This is what we had to do up till today.

It's an American Standard (I think they're all mostly the same anyway). I submerged it in CLR for two minutes since we do have hard water AND I disassembled it and the rubber washer in there looked real clean. When I reassembled it, it didn't work AT ALL!

So, since this has a lifetime warranty on it do I ask for a new one or is there a way to fix it?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. -Tony

Last edited by tony17112acst; 02-12-07 at 07:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-07, 04:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Tony: Do you filter your well water? We have fairly good water, only high in some calcifiers, but not too bad. I installed a whole house filter and it keeps things in check pretty good. I change the cartridge once a month. In your reassembly you could have gotten the disk turned backwards, causing it not to seal properly. But exchanging it may be a good idea before you go digging further on your end. That way you can be assured it is a good diverter. You may want to consider even another brand spout.

Old 02-14-07, 07:32 PM
T
I ended up calling American Standard Warranty division and they are sending me a new tub spout.

I temporarily pulled the rubber washer out of the diverter assembly and inserted a piece of plastic (I cut from a soda cup) behind it. This has actually created a good seal and the shower works every time.

I wish someone could explain to me how these diverters work because when I look at new ones in the store, they are all as loose as mine. I don't know how something so loose can create that good seal where no water comes out of the spout and all of it is coming out of the shower. It's also so loose that when you turn the water supply off when in the shower position, the diverter drops down by itself. I just don't get it: it's really lose but it creates a tight seal at the same time?

Old 02-15-07, 03:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
The looseness is necessary in order for a drop in water pressure to allow it to release and let the shower tube drain back down (exactly as you describe). The water pressure itself will slam the washer against the face and keep it there until that pressure drops sufficiently. Glad AS is honoring their warranty, and hope it fixes the thing.

Old 02-15-07, 12:46 PM
T
Thanks Chandler,

I saw that the rubber washer was hollow but I'm just not familliar with the forces at play on how the washer gets slammed BACKWARDS(?) onto the opening.

AS was very helpful. They didnt' even ask for my reciept; they just took my word for it.

-Tony

Old 10-26-08, 08:19 PM
R
3 years later... October 26th 2008

I had the same problem as above.. and the constant advice from hardward stores and websites was to replace the entire spout. I thought that was insane, how come this little diverter can be replaced??? At the end of this long day.. I fixed it, and this is what I learned...

This diverter is four parts, a nob, a stem, a plastic holder, and a black rubber washer (valve).

The little black rubber washer is the value. When water pressure pushes against the hole, it actually pushes this black valve out just enough to stop the water from flowing, and the water flows to the shower head. If water is pouring out, try cleaning this black valve with toothpaste, as someone on another website recommended, and reinsert the valve. But don't push it all the way in. Water need to get behind this valve in order to fuction properly.

Hope this helps...

Old 10-26-08, 10:14 PM
T
WOw, I just got an email that a reply was posted ...4 years later!

I ALSO have an update. I'm the one who posted the original question and American Standard did send me a good working replacement.

4 years later, guess what? The replacement is starting to do the SAME THING! If I remember rightly, it should totally stop diverting water up to the shower in about a year; it'll get worse and worse.

-Tony