Toilet distance from wall.

Old 02-17-07, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet distance from wall.

I'm building a wall behind my toilet based on where a previous wall was. (The outline is still there: 2x4 on the ground) Before they had no supports and the drywall was just loose in there. So to actually make it a REAL wall, I'm rebuilding it.

I did some reading on this forum and it said that the distance from the finished wall to the bolts should be 12 to 14 inches. I just measured mine and it's 11. Is this going to be a problem? I can't move the wall back an inch but I can build an "indent" in the wall as there's no supports in that section of the wall. (So instead of using 2x4's I could use a 2x2 against the back of the 2x4's that are currently to the sides of where the tank will be.)

While the indent will give me enough room, it will make the wall look strange. So, before I build my indent, will 11 inches from the wall be okay and I can build a standard wall? Or should I got the indent route?

Thanks for your help!

--Ethan

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-07, 01:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Ethan, with the limited space (and you need a minimum of 12") you may be forced to buy a 10" set back toilet, which will fit your dimensions. check at a plumbing supply house and see what they have available.

Old 02-17-07, 05:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm a perfectionist, I would move the toilet flange out to 12 inches. Sounds like you are doing a major remodel anyway.

Old 02-17-07, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by michaelshortt
I'm a perfectionist, I would move the toilet flange out to 12 inches. Sounds like you are doing a major remodel anyway.
Trust me, I'd LOVE to do that. But I forgot to mention that the toilet is in the basement and it's a cement floor.

Unless moving that kinda thing 1 inch isn't too difficult. (First time toilet install here.)

--Ethan

Old 02-18-07, 07:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yep, I thought about that after my response, I would find a 10 Incher.