Delta faucet woes

Old 02-27-07, 11:09 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Delta faucet woes

Hello and thanks in advance for the info.

3 years ago we put a Delta faucet with the seperate hot and cold handles on a new Toto pedestal sink in the downstairs bathroom. For the last few months the cold water drips constantly from the faucet. When I turn off the cold source under the sink it stops, and when I press down on the cold handle it stops as well.

I picked up a universal washer set from Home Depot as someone had told me even if the old washer is soft and looks good it could still be the cause of the drip. So I replaced the round washer with one that seemed to match from the set on the cold side, but it still drips from the faucet. Do we need a new faucet set, did I not use the correct sized gasket, or is there a replacement part from Delta we can purchase instead of a whole new set?

Thanks. AW

Old 02-27-07, 12:56 PM
S
What you need to do is purchase Delta branded replacement seats and springs not a knockoff brand.If Home Depot does not carry these (or even if they do) go to a REAL hardware store with qualified help and buy the real item.

It is also possible the stems are damaged but the much more likely item especially considering age are seat and springs.You might also consider a complete rebuild kit and change out the o-rings while you're at it.Again make sure to purchase a Delta branded kit for this as well.Same goes for replacement stems....all is available as a direct Delta replacement item.

Last edited by spdavid; 02-27-07 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-27-07, 06:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It sounds to me that you have the conventional washer and seat system. Washers are only 1/2 of the picture. You have to peer down inside ( a penlight helps) once the stem is removed and see if the edges of the seat are free of nicks.

Old 02-28-07, 07:53 AM
A
Thanks so much guys, I hit up Home Depot last night and picked up the Delta seat and spring set(RP4993) for $4. Hopefully that'll do the trick.

Our well water is really hard. Should we be soaking the cartridges in water and vinegar every so often to avoid having to replace seats and springs constantly? I'm guessing the answer is yes. We should probably invest in a softener sysytem at some point....maybe when we hit the lottery.

Old 02-28-07, 08:37 AM
Delta has never used "washers" and it appears what you meant was the seat and spring. There definitely is a difference between the genuine Delta and the generic on this part. Seems like a simple rubber part, but for a couple of more bucks, the original IS better. Also, there are two styles of springs. If your faucet is more than 25 years old, it uses the longer straight spring. Yours probably uses the short, tapered spring. The right spring also makes a difference. In rare cases, it might be necessary to just SLIGHTLY stretch the spring to get a good seal. Rarely need to do this, however.

Old 03-01-07, 05:20 AM
A
Thanks for the info. Being only 3 years old I picked up the RP4993 seat and spring set. When I took off the handle and cartridge last night to replace, I couldn't find anything "above" the sink that looked like it. I took out the stem unit assembly, and it looked like the seat may be deep in the vacancy under said cartridge, but I didn't want to pry it out to see. Do I need to access the old seat/spring from under the sink?

Also when I remove said assembly, there's a brass cup if you will in place in the sink still. Is the seat/spring there on the bottom base of that? The Delta diagrams for 'bath sink 2 handle widespread'

Link(copy and paste):
http://www.deltafaucet.com/wps/portal/deltacom/kcxml/04_Sj9SPykssy0xPLMnMz0vM0Y_QjzKLd4439goFSZnFW8aHOepHogtZIoR8PfJzU_WD9L31A_QLckMjyh0dFQHp0dsp/delta/base64xml/L3dJdyEvd0ZNQUFzQUMvNElVRS82X0NfM0pW?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=http://wcmprd1.deltafaucet.com:9081/wps/wcm/connect/www.deltafaucet.com/Customer+Support/Frequently+Asked+Questions/Leaks/My+Bath+Sink+Two-Handle+Widespread+faucet+leaks

are more a blown out view so it's tough to see exactly where I should be finding the seat/spring on the cold water side. Do I need to take the whole thing apart to get at the seats?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: