Bathtub Drain Question

Old 03-01-07, 12:01 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Bathtub Drain Question

I have a house that was built in 1998. How do I remove the drain in my tub? It is one that you turn about 1/4 of the way around and it comes up or turn it back and it closes or drops down to the tub and is flush to fill the tub. I want to remove the drain and clean out anything that is stuck on the crisscross thing underneath - probably my hair. Is it possible to remove this thing?

The ring that surrounds it in the bottom of the tub is also starting to get ugly. Is it possible to remove this and replace it?

Thank you, Susan

Old 03-01-07, 02:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Ooooh, Susan, don't venture too far with your cleaning! The drain plug can probably be removed by unscrewing it, but if it is like the ones I have seen lately, they will "free spin", and won't come out. Try it and see. As far as cleaning the drain itself, just try an old (or your husband's) toothbrush, and try to avoid removing the drain itself, as you will open up another can of worms. It can be done, but you should avoid it if you can. Use a good drain opener to help with the hair clog.

Old 03-01-07, 04:11 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your advice. I do clean the drains with some type of clog remover about once a year. Now I can see that something is on the crisscross thing underneath the top that seems to not be removable from pouring goop in the drain. The clog remover is not removing it. I could try to use a silver coat hanger and get it out. Or maybe needle nose pilers? Something is there and I just thought I could take the silver top off to get to it without having to work in the 1/2 " space given.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: