How to remove sink stopper to unclog vanity sink?

Old 03-05-07, 01:23 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question How to remove sink stopper to unclog vanity sink?

I have an old (20 yr) bath vanity sink which is clogged and can't remove the stopper. It is metal, and connected to a puller by a metal rod . Any suggestions?

Old 03-05-07, 04:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Some of the old sink stoppers will twist about 45 degrees and then you can lift it out. But that only works on the ones where down the sink hole the stopper is hollow tubular.

But to ensure you can remove it no matter what, you have to go under the sink and loosen that approximate 1 - 1 1/4 inch diameter nut on the backside of the drain pipe that is below the bottom of the sink a few inches. Remove the nut, then pull the horizontal lever rod down there back out toward the back wall, and now you can get the stopper out. (I do this so often that I don't have to see. I can do it by reaching under there by feel, blindfolded.

Old 04-08-07, 09:06 AM
A
Clogged vanity drain - My experience

I just had my first experience in removing the stopper and cleaning the vanity drain pipe which was showing signs of clogging...YUK... I am the first and only person living in this brand new house. I'd like to suggest the following:

1. Before you start, have available: disposable rubber gloves, a plastic lined small trash can, bacterial cleaner or a solution of 50/50 bleach and water, a bottle brush and some old toothbrushes, and a small bucket and a rag.

2. Look under the sink for the sink stopper nut located behind the drain pipe at the base of the sink. Unscrew the nut (clockwise as you look at it from the front of the vanity) and pull out the rod to release the stopper, which will pull out easily. This really is disgusting stuff!!

3. Put on your rubber gloves!! Clean the small rod that you pulled out. Stuff a rag into the rod hole and put your small bucket under to catch water when you turn on your faucet.

4. Remove as much of the "stuff" near the top as you can with tooth brushes, then use your bottle brush to scrub down the sides of the pipe. This is easier done with hot water running (this is the reason for the rag and bucket).

5. Thoroughly clean all parts with bacterial or bleach solution. Reassemble the drain. Throw away all brushes, gloves and rag. Your drain is a hot bed of bacteria.

Good luck.

Last edited by Anne-Marie; 04-08-07 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 04-08-07, 09:08 AM
A
Clean slow vanity drain - My experience

I just had my first experience in removing the stopper and cleaning the vanity drain pipe which was showing signs of clogging...YUK... I am the first and only person living in this brand new house. I'd like to suggest the following:

1. Before you start, have available: disposable rubber gloves, a plastic lined small trash can, bacterial cleaner or a solution of 50/50 bleach and water, a bottle brush and some old toothbrushes, and a small bucket and a rag.
2. Look under the sink for the sink stopper nut located behind the drain pipe at the base of the sink. Unscrew the nut (clockwise as you look at it from the front of the vanity) and pull out the rod to release the stopper, which will pull out easily. This really disgusting stuff!!
3. Put on your rubber gloves!! Clean the small rod that you pulled out. Stuff a rag into the rod hole and put your small bucket under to catch water when you turn on your faucet.
4. Remove as much of the "stuff" near the top as you can with tooth brushes, then use your bottle brush to scrub down the sides of the pipe. This is easier done with hot water running (this is the reason for the rag and bucket).
5. Thoroughly clean all parts with bacterial or bleach solution. Reassemble the drain. Throw away all brushes, gloves and rag. Your drain is a hot bed of bacteria.

Good luck.

Old 02-10-09, 06:32 AM
S
quick and easy fix and permanent easy clean

I appreciated the informaton above but I knew it would be hard to get around to it (translation: I would never do it myself : )

I just figured out what to do:
I was able to rotate the stopper in one direction and then in the other direction, holding it at the top, within the sink, turning it hard, and I got it to come off.
It either came loose or broke off at the tip where it was attached.

I had read that some of the older stoppers can be removed
by turning. And I had read of someone who found it better
to have the stopper unattached anyway and just dropped in the hole.

This one is not very old, but I tried this anyway, not caring if the tip, where it is attached in the pipe, broke off. I'd rather have a little piece of plastic in the drain than all that black gunk!

DON'T break it off if you care about putting the same stopper back in ATTACHED. If that would make your sink not water tight or something else you like now, don't do this. Mine still goes up and down, but NOT tightly (which does not concern me; I can put a washcloth in the sink if I am making extra sure not to lose something down the drain.)

However, I had read also that it is okay to use the stopper loose - and I had decided I wanted that anyway - an open access to the drain - as now the DRAIN CAN BE CLEANED AND UNSTOPPED EASILY! It is flowing like it never has since we moved here four years ago! And I can just give it a little (now effective) plunging now and then!

I found this page quickly on Google and so I thought others might arrive here - and I wanted to help them, so I joined up so I could post. And I got to spend my time writing this rather than getting down on the floor and dealing with things under the sink : )

Susan

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: