Smell from bathroom sink

Old 03-14-07, 05:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smell from bathroom sink

I recently bought a new home and noticed a foul odor coming from the master bedroom sink. It's almost a moldy type smell and it only occurs when I turn on the faucet and let it run for a few seconds. The smell comes from the drain.

Any ideas what this could be and also does anybody have a possible solution? Thanks for your help.

Old 03-15-07, 04:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes. Hair poking above the trap line, embedded with soap and other goos. Or, down your overflow you have mildewy growth that you could squirt bleach down there.

Old 03-15-07, 04:55 PM
T
An enzyme digester drain cleaner will digest odor causing organisms. Drains should be periodically cleaned. An easy way to keep drains cleaned is to pour a cup of baking soda in drain and follow up with a cup of hot vinegar (heat in microwave). Let foam for 5+ minutes and rinse with hot water. If drains have not been cleaned in a while, you may want to repeat the procedure.

Fill bath tub with some water and flush toilet. If water gurgles in tub, you have a venting problem. Although posters usually report venting problems producing sewer gas odor, some report musty odor.

Old 04-01-07, 12:02 PM
T
Thumbs up Moldy Smelling Drains

I have had a moldy smell in my bathroom sink drain for a couple of years and have tried everything to remedy it but nothing has worked until now. It is a new product I saw on TV called "Liquid-Plumr Foaming Pipe Snake". It clears the drain and cleans the pipe walls as advertised. I have used it once and the problem is gone. I may use one more time just to make sure the drain is really cleaned out but it does work and I am so excited to finally find something that can be poured down the drain and is effective.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: