Repairing fiberglass tub

Old 03-21-07, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repairing fiberglass tub

While painting his bathroom my son used a small ladder in his whirlpool tub and put a dime sized crack in it where it curves up on the end.Does anyone know a good product to use to repair it?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-07, 12:17 PM
F
There are really no products the lay person has access to that will do a good repair job. But, there are people in the fiberglass tub/shower repair business who repair tubs and showers every day. They use OEM colors and approved products to do the repairs. I had 2 fiberglass showers, brand new, that got damaged and had both repaired quite reasonably and the repairs aren't noticeable. Look in the yellow pages under tub repair or recoating or the like; I ended up calling several repair firms (no one did fiberglass repair) and finally found the name of someone who did fiberglass repairs full-time for home builders and the like. He was more than happy to take on my little job.

Old 03-22-07, 06:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I went to a local auto body shop where the guy gave me some fiberglass resin abnd colored 'gel coat' for a nick in a tub. He said that THEY come out and make repairs from construction guys dropping hammers, crescent wrenches and pipe wrenches in tubs.

I recently just used *GOOP* (an adhesive sold in dept. auto and big box stores) and this sealed a very sizaeable crack that went up the curved part of a cheesy eggshell-thick plastic shower pan, and it came out good enough. I had to apply it thick in order to bridge over the complete crack that was about 2 inches long.