HELP!!! Toilet Flange

Old 03-29-07, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HELP!!! Toilet Flange

How do you replace a toilet flange, mine is rotted out and very thin.

Rangr90

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-07, 06:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You must have the toilet off now? And it is cast iron, is it? And thin? Rotted out?

Does the existing flange go OVER, or in otherwords is on the OUTSIDE of a 4 inch cast iron drain pipe? This is common, and they have oakum and lead poured around that joint. You can drill and gouge out the oakum rope and lead, and remove the flange.

Then you may be at the stage that the existing vertical 4 inch drain pipe might be about 3/8 inch or so above your floor line. You can sawzall vertically from top edge of cast pipe to floor every 1/2 inch around the perimeter of the 4 inch cast pipe and then snap off the 'teeth you created with a pliers, and now the pipe will be flush with the floor. (I have used sheetmetal on floor to protect blade from going into linoleum!) You must not have any pipe sticking up higher than the floor.

Then purchase a PVC flange that is made to go inside a 4 inch pipe. They secure in place with an expandable rubber gasket and 3 allen screws you tighten that causes the rubber to swedge out against the inner wall of the 4 inch cast . Then drill and screw the toilet flange to the floor in the predrilled holes in the flange.

I've done this job now a couple of times in the last 3 years.

Last edited by DaVeBoy; 03-29-07 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-30-07, 03:06 PM
Dave Boy:

Thanks for the help we dont have the toilet off yet but had it off before now i know how to fix it....

Rangr90