Has anyone fitted a drop in tub before????

Old 04-08-07, 04:14 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Has anyone fitted a drop in tub before????

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out what part of a drop in tub bears the load/weight.

I have not purchased the tub yet, and I am not sure if I will go with a drop in version. I have been researching the frame that needs to be built, and it would seem that all of the weight will be supported by the rim of the tub. Is there nothing that needs to be built underneath the tub (between the tub and the floor) to support the weight?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Old 04-08-07, 05:32 PM
R
You need to check the specs on the tub you are getting. I have seen tubs that were to be supported by the rim and others that called to be set in a lightweight mortar

Old 04-08-07, 05:34 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Drop in tubs are supported by the tub base, not the rim. Put a layer of dry set mortar on the subfloor, install the tub with spacers under the rim equal to the thickness of whatever your finish surface will be (i.e. tile, cement board and a small (1/4") expansion gap). Press the tub into the mortar until the rim rests on the spacers. Once the mortar sets up, remove the spacers and finish off the deck.

Old 04-09-07, 08:15 AM
P
Originally Posted by Rockpro View Post
You need to check the specs on the tub you are getting. I have seen tubs that were to be supported by the rim and others that called to be set in a lightweight mortar
Ahhh, so they are all different. Thanks Rockpro.

Old 04-09-07, 08:17 AM
P
I think if I get a tub that states it can be supported by the rim, I will do this anyway. Stitch in time saves nine and all that.

Cheers Wayne.

Old 04-12-07, 10:19 AM
G
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
If you don't support the tub bottom it is going to flex when you use it and seem unstable even though it may be solidly anchored. Have a good one. Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: