replacing the toilet

Old 04-14-07, 09:40 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
replacing the toilet

We're planning a move in the summer and trying to get our house ready to sell. The toilet in the main bathroom is old. It works fine but the appearance would probably not help the re-sale value. A visible crack in the tank was sealed with Plumbers Goop and has worked for years, and although the color of the toilet matches the tub, the 40-50 year old light green colored toilet with a white toilet seat does not look very appealing. We are considering to replace it with white. I've read the article about different kinds of toilets. I'm guessing a gravity flush would be fine. The bathroom is small. Any tips on a brand or price-range or home improvement store that would help us narrow our decision down would be greatly appreciated. Don

Old 04-14-07, 04:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Kohler makes a good line of toilets, as do others. I would go with a bone color to tone down the starkness of the white against the avocado tub. And depending on your likes or dislikes, a 17 1/2" tall one is really nice. Probably run in the $200 range for bowl and tank. Don't forget the wax seal.

Old 04-14-07, 05:16 PM
A
Try not to go with the cheapest toilet you can find. They are cheap for a good reason. I would go a hardware store(try not to go to home depot) and find some you like then do some research on them. Mansfield makes nice toilets but I don't think Lowes or HD has them. You would have to call a plumbing supply store.

Old 04-14-07, 07:35 PM
B
Thanks for the info and advice

My wife tells me the commode is mint green rather than light green---not that it matters a lot. Anyway, I appreciate both responses I received. Don

Old 04-14-07, 07:39 PM
B
17 1/2" toilet

Larry, you said something about the 17 1/2" toilet. Just how is that measured. Our present toilet is about 29 inches from floor to top edge of bowl. We were actually talking about getting a taller one. Don

Old 04-14-07, 07:41 PM
R
29" from the floor to the top of the bowl? sounds more like your vanity.

Old 04-15-07, 12:32 PM
Don, measure with US measurements, not metric! You couldn't even jump up onto a 29" high bowl. The 17 1/2" bowls are ADA approved for handicapped areas, but IMO should be a standard. They make sitting much more comfortable. "What about kids?" Step stools, and they grow up, you don't grow down.

Old 04-15-07, 03:02 PM
A
ADA(most 17-1/2" toilets are ADA compliant) would be the best choice for adults if you can spend the extra money for it. Its higher so you don't have to bend so much to sit down and its elongated.

Old 04-15-07, 06:47 PM
R
Chandler - how wrong you are! I've started to grow down!

Old 04-16-07, 04:56 AM
Why don't I have those funny faces on my pages. That's not a self portrait, is it?

Old 04-28-07, 08:20 AM
B
Where did the 29" inch toilet come from?

Thanks for the good laugh about the height of our "29 inch toilet." That figure most likely came from the floor to the top of the tank. Anyway, it's actually about 14 3/4 to the toilet bowl edge, so the 17 1/2" toilet sounds good.

I somewhat hate to give up that good-flushing old toilet with the extra water in the tank, but finding a mint green toilet seat and top is not easy, and the crack in the tank, although functional, does not look to good.

I'll start searching for a toilet today. We have Lowes and Home Depot here in Memphis. I think I've seen Kohler toilets at one of the places. Thanks,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: