Replacing 1 piece tub and surround

Old 04-18-07, 12:51 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing 1 piece tub and surround

My girlfriend and I are going through a bathroom remodel. I only have experience in framing, drywall, and some minor plumbing so this should be interesting to say the least.

Anyway, we want to remove a 1 piece tub and surround and replace it with a corner shower kit to gain some space in our small first floor bathroom.

Some questions:

How does one go about removing the 1 piece unit? Basically disconnect the drain and faucet plumbing and get the unit out?

We are going to replace the linoleum with tile. Does the tile go in and then the shower on top, or does the shower go in and then tile up to edge?

Will there be major problems with connecting the existing tub drain to the new shower drain.

I know there are a jumble of questions but thank in advance.

Old 04-18-07, 07:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Your one piece tub and surround was put in place before the framing was completed, so removing it will be the reverse of installation. Just kidding. You will have to cut the tub with a reciprocating saw vertically into three pieces, removing the middle piece, then the back piece, then the piece with the water controls and drain. The reason is, that the unit will be too large to fit through any doorway, nor turn in any hallway, so cutting it up is the only way to go. Be sure to wear eye protection.
As far as recycling the existing tub drain, that should be ok if it meets with your new shower location. As you say, there will be more questions as you go, so we will wait for them. Good luck with the starting process.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: