Shower diverter does not stay put

Old 05-03-07, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower diverter does not stay put

I am having trouble with the diverter valve in my shower. The entire system is only a year old because the shower is in a new extension. For a while, it was working correctly. Now, if I pull the diverter stem out, it stays for a while but eventually pops back in all by itself and the water diverts back to the tub filler. (No problem with actual diversion though, all the water either goes to the shower or the tub, not both, and pressure is okay.) Is this the sign of a bad diverter valve or could it be something else?

Also, it seems if I turn the handle too far to hot first (single handle system), when I pull the diverter stem out, it will not stay at all. I could see this being an anti-scald "feature" (just set too low). Is there such a thing because I could just as easily imagine that it's just broken?

If I can find the right valve, replacing the diverter valve itself will be no problem if that's all it is. Any thoughts or suggestions out there?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-07, 02:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Since you have covered all the bases, with pressure, etc. it does seem the diverter is the culprit. You may be able to increase the pressure and have it stay in place. Have you checked the pressure with a gauge, or are you just getting a good feel for the pressure as it comes out? Pressure keeps the water diverted.

Old 05-03-07, 04:05 PM
No, since I don't have one, I have not checked the pressure with a gauge. Just my observation that sufficient volume of water is coming out at sufficient pressure to take a comfortable shower. Nor have I removed the shower head to see if that makes any difference. How would I increase the pressure as you suggest? Could something (like a toilet flush or turning on water somewhere else in the house) be creating an intermittent pressure drop that releases the diverter valve?

Old 05-03-07, 06:45 PM
You can purchase a pressure gauge with a fitting that goes on an exterior faucet. Turn the faucet on and look at the pressure. It should be around 70 psi if you are on municipal water. It varies, but anything substantially less may cause you problems. It is a small investment, but may correct other problems that may crop up due to low pressure. Let's try that first and then go from there.

Old 05-04-07, 10:49 AM
I have a private well (I live in the suburbs) so there's no way I have 70 psi. (Don't need to invest in a gauge for that).

Old 05-04-07, 05:30 PM
Nope. Seems like you may have to replace the diverter valve after all. Post back if we can help with that part, too. Good luck.

Old 05-07-07, 07:44 AM
I emailed the manufacturer and they got back to me immediately that they had replaced this particular diverter valve with a manual valve (stays out or stays in by hand). They offered to send me one so hopefully I won't have to go searching for one. Thanks for the support!