Secret Flapper Adjustment!! What Is It???

Old 05-29-07, 07:57 PM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Secret Flapper Adjustment!! What Is It???

What the ding-dong is the secret to adjusting the flapper? I have 4 toilets in my house, all are identical models and all have flapper-type flush valves. I'm constantly having to fiddle with any one of them at any one time to get them to open properly and to stay open until the tank is empty. Here's the scenario:

Toilet flushes fine for a few months, then the flapper begins to leak. Inspection shows the chain to the valve is a bit too short. It is taut and is keeping the flapper up just enough to cause a weak seal and a leak.

So I go in there and increase the chain length by one (yes, by one) single solitary link. Now the flapper won't open far enough to stay up while the tank empties itself unless I hold the flush lever down for 3-4 seconds.

Eventually, with enough fiddling around with the lever and chain, I can get it to work properly again for a few more months, during which time one of the other toilets develops the identical problem. But the valve inevitably begins to leak again.

So. What's the secret adjustment for the flap valve???? Throw it out and get an "old school" drop valve? ("Old school" means "doing it right").

I'm using valves made of red rubber (I guess it's rubber, what do I know) on all toilets. I've replaced the entire flushvalve assembly on one, but that didn't help. Two toilets have horizontal flush valve seats, and two have seats that are slightly angled. Doesn't appear to make a difference. All seats are clean with no bumps or "eaten-out" areas.

I have also bent the flush levers such that they rest centered over the flush valve and so that the chain does not pull the valve straight up, but slightly rearwards as well. The chains' hooks are all in the end hold of the lever.

Any hints??

Old 05-30-07, 02:58 AM
C
CSG
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The model of the toilet..water level...and flapper settings all play a part in how the flapper operates.

Personally i'd go try to find some blue flappers..Coast Blue Flappers are what i use as a contractor. Never have any issues with em. Sounds like your using the uncoated red dinky flappers that i hate to use cause i have the same issues as you with em

Old 05-31-07, 10:33 AM
P
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Blue flappers.

Hmmmm.

Blue flappers.

Okay, I'll try a couple blue ones! Never thought that toilet flappers could be such a science!

If I were rich, I'd just install tankless toilets. If I were filthy rich, I'd import some German wall-mounting toilets for the ultimate in low-maintenance and water savings.

Old 05-31-07, 11:11 AM
S
The best flappers I've ever used and also sold are Korky Flappers.This company is one of the original manufacturers of flappers and make a quality product.I've put a number of them in with never a problem.

Old 05-31-07, 11:25 AM
C
CSG
i've had issue with Korky's . But to spdavid's benefit, my fathers company in a different area then my company uses em and has no issues.

Water quality plays an important role in flappers and how long they last and work etc. In my area the city water is..well....lets just say i like my Coast Flappers

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: