New toilet problem

Old 06-19-07, 06:20 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question New toilet problem

I installed my new AS Toilet 2 weeks ago and it's been working beautifully. Today I turned off the main water shut off for the house and soldered on new valves to the new sink I'm installing. After that was done I turned on the main valve and looked at my work and there were no leaks. Since I'd had a coffee earlier i needed to relieve myself and used the toilet. I flushed and heard a huge bang...the toilet flushed well but the tank didn't stop filling at all and when I went downstairs found that there was water dripping through the ceiling below. I immediately shut off the valve to the toilet and the dripping stopped. Does anyone know what happened? I don't want to do anything until i get some sound advice from someone who may have been through this before. Any advice would be useful please before I start removing toilet or cutting into walls unnecessarily. Thanks.

Old 06-20-07, 04:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
When you turned off the water to solder, you left an air gap in the pipes. That is why, after you install a new sink faucet, etc, the instructions say to slowly open the faucet to relieve any air that may have accumulated in the pipes. Well, flushing a toilet ain't exactly "slowly" turning on a faucet, and what resulted is known as water hammer. It can damage fittings.
However you said it quit when you turned the valve off to the toilet. Your toilet valve inside the toilet may have suffered the most damage, and would need replacing. I would try that first. It was probably putting too much water at a constant rate down the overflow tube that it leaked past the wax ring.
Try replacing the valve with at Fluidmaster 400 and post back with your results.

Old 06-23-07, 08:56 AM
J
New toilet problem

Thanks for the advice. As soon as I have another set of eyes and hands to help me I'll try this and I'll let you know how it went.

Old 06-24-07, 11:37 AM
J
Smile New toilet repaired

Thanks so much Chandler,
I removed the toilet and poured water down the drain with no leak. I replaced the wax ring and installed the Fluidmaster 400 and problem solved. Thanks again!!!

Old 07-09-07, 02:00 PM
J
Question New toilet problem continued

Ok so thank you very much. I did what you said and also replaced the wax seal. The toilet worked great for two weeks then a couple of days ago started to leak on the underside again. I think I know the problem and I just want to confirm it with you.
When I tiled the bathroom I left and inch gap between the tile and the toilet flange. Do you think that the problem is that the wax is oozing down the gap ruining my seal?
I spoke to a novice tiler about this and she said that if I filled the gap with grout that my problem should likely be solved. What do you think?
Any help would be appreciated!!!
Thank You
Julie

Old 07-09-07, 02:26 PM
Julie: Yes, the gap you left is definitely the problem. You need to pull it again, install either one or two extender rings, then a new wax seal. Sorry I didn't know this at the beginning, or I could have saved alot of re-pulling of the toilet. The extender rings are readily available at plumbing supply houses or at the big box stores. Most of the time the holes line up perfectly and all you have to do is add longer screws to hold them down, along with silicone between them for a good seal. Make sure the keyway for the toilet hold down bolts line up with the original one. Let us know how it goes, and good luck with it.

Old 07-09-07, 03:42 PM
J
New Toilet Problem

oh wait I think you misunderstood what I wrote.
What i meant was that I left one inch all around the sides of the extender ring. I think the extender ring is up the right height (just slightly reaching tile level.
So basically there is a one inchx 1 inch gap before the cut tile encircling the flange/extender. Does that make sense?
Julie

Old 07-09-07, 04:12 PM
OK, does the bowl fit firmly on the surrounding tile? If so, the 1" space around the ring shouldn't cause a problem. Are you using a wax ring with a bell attached? It may help direct the waste into the pipe below better than just a plain wax ring. Sorry I misunderstood your last post.

Old 07-09-07, 04:31 PM
J
Yes the bowl fits firmly on the surrounding tile. I'm not quite sure what a 'bell' is?. Is it the black plastic thing that fits into the drain that's attached to the wax ring? Because that's what i used.

Old 07-10-07, 04:41 AM
You got it! Now, the only thing I can think of to prevent a leak in the seal area is to replace the standard wax ring with an extra tall ring. I believe Oatey makes one, either a #10 or 11, not sure of the number. The wax is extra thick and will squish out better than the standard one. I just want to make sure....the water is definitely coming out from under the bowl, right? It couldn't just be dripping from the tank connection and dribbling down to that area, could it? Just probing for answers.

Old 07-10-07, 09:52 AM
J
No it's definitely leaking from under toilet.
You didn't really answer my first question though. Do you think the gap needs to be filled with grout?
Julie

Old 07-10-07, 03:06 PM
Not really as long as the toilet is sitting firmly on tile all the way around and the flange is tight to the floor. Grouting it won't lend to any more stability.

Old 07-10-07, 04:21 PM
J
Larry,
Can you check out this link and tell me if this is the Oatey Product you may be referring to ?
http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/showprod.asp?ctg=11&subctg=25
Julie

Old 07-10-07, 05:46 PM
Nope, that's a shower drain assembly. See http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/showskus.asp?ctg=80&subctg=0&prodgrpid=292

Old 07-11-07, 07:01 PM
J
Thanks Larry,
that's the ring I used but a brand from HD. Did I install it correctly. I placed the wax ring on the toilet side and the bell inserted into the drain?
Julie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: