Toilet tank to bowl...won't stop dripping.

Old 06-24-07, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet tank to bowl...won't stop dripping.

I recently installed a new toilet, and it worked fine. This weekend, we pulled it up to lay down a new floor. After we put the toilet back together, it will not stop leaking between the tank and bowl. I took it apart twice to inspect it, and can't find anything wrong. it was leaking from just one side, but now it has a slow drop from both sides. Is there some sort of trick to getting these things to seal? HELP!!!

TIA

Old 06-24-07, 09:21 AM
S
If the tank to bowl gasket will not reseal it will need to be replaced.Sometimes when a seal is broken loose it just will not reseal.Check the tank to bowl bolt gaskets also and be sure there is no crack somewhere in the porcelain that occured during your project.Make sure you are not causing an uneven mounting of the tank by tightening one bolt more than the other (or one of 3 if your toilet has 3 bolts etc).Note that if you have to replace the seal you need to replace it with the correct type as there are several.Taking it with you to a hardware store or plumbing supply will help for matching.

Old 06-24-07, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the reply. Is it more likely to be the tank to bowl gasket, or the tank to bowl mounting screw gaskets (rubber washers)?

Thanks!

Old 06-24-07, 10:04 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
On the tank bolts do you have two sets of nuts. One on the bottom of the tank and one to hold to the commode? If only nuts under the commode I'd suggest a second set under the tank if there is room. More then once I have had to add the second set to prevent leaking. Even had to do it on some new toilet sets. It's interesting that most replacement bolt sets come with 4 (or 6) nuts but manufacturers often only include two.

For future reference: Not sure why you pulled the toilet apart but it is usually not necessary when you remove the toilet. Pulled lots of toilets doing flooring but never took the toilet apart that I can recall. That just adding a potential problem. Definitely as suggested replace the gasket.

Old 06-24-07, 10:28 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
[Geeze the edit blocking function of this board is stupid.] If I misread and you didn't take the toilet apart sorry for the last paragraph of my original post.

Old 06-24-07, 10:40 AM
S
If the dripping is coming from between the tank and bowl it's that gasket.If the dripping is coming off the bolts then it is the gaskets for them.

After what I assume is at least two dissassemble and reassembles....might want to replace all those gaskets.

Old 06-24-07, 11:11 AM
I did take the take off the bowl because I was worried about cracking the tank during removal. I removed the toilet by myself, and was worried about the tank flexing where it bolts to the bowl, and cracking stuff. In hindsight, I wish I would have just gotten help and pulled the toilet in one piece.

Anyway, just got back from the hardware store, and they did not have the tank to bowl gasket. Mine is a 3" one for a Jacuzzi toilet. The ones at the hardware store are all smaller. As

As for double nutting it, should I try to find some thin jam nuts or just use the standard brass ones? I am not sure if I will have enough room for the standard size nuts.

Can anyone recommend a place online where I can find the large diameter gasket? Would Lowes or HD have them?

TIA

Old 06-24-07, 12:19 PM
S
If your toilet has a specialized gasket,which apparently it does,it's doubtful any big box store will carry it unless they stock the toilet itself.That too is at best a maybe and you'll find nobody at a big box store to help you with this.Plumbing supply house's that sell to the public and/or a dealer for your toilet brand is your best bet.Call ahead and make sure they have it to save time.Research possibly finding it online or calling the manufacturer through a 1-800 type number if possible.

If you can't double nut with regular sized nuts try to locate jam nuts in stainless or brass to avoid rust issues later on.

Old 06-24-07, 01:35 PM
I bought the toilet at Lowes, so perhaps I'll check there for the gasket.

I double nutted the mounting bolts. I just used nuts smaller in diameter than the holes that the bolts pass through. This was the nut can safely pass through the mounting holes in the bowl. I will then use the washers on the underside of the bowl.

Why don't toilet manufacturers use some sort of stud that is factory sealed and attached to the tank?

Old 06-24-07, 03:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I always buy an additional package of bowl to tank nuts and bolts. The following is the order of installation. Metal washer, rubber washer on bolt. Bolt through hole in tank. rubber washer, then metal washer and nut to hold it all together as a unit. Then you can pick up the sealed tank and install it with additional metal washer and nut under the bowl. You won't have to worry about proper torque to keep it from leaking.

Old 06-24-07, 04:38 PM
I have to take issue with the last comment by chandler. There shoul be NO metal washer inside the tank. That metal to metal point will leak. The reason the bolt has a very wide flat head is so that no metal washer is needed here. Rubber washer goes on the bolt, right up against the head, and then the bolt goes through the hole.

Old 06-24-07, 05:33 PM
I have it currently installed with Bolt - Rubber washer - tank - rubber washer - metal washer - nut - and it's sitting on my bench waiting for some clear silicon sealer to dry. Once it's good and dry, I will place it on the bowl, and from under the bowl, will use metal washer and final nut with just enough torque to seat the tank to bowl gasket.

Pray for me.

and thanks.

Old 06-24-07, 05:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
594 is right, I was visualizing needing the wide surface for the washer, and forgot about the wideness of the brass bolt itself. You have it assembled correctly, but where does the silicone come into play? Silicone can be your worst enemy, and you don't need it.

Old 06-24-07, 09:07 PM
I read to use it on a forum that Google led me to.

Old 06-25-07, 07:54 AM
I put it back together last night, and it has yet to leak a drop. Thanks guys.

Old 07-06-07, 11:11 AM
B
One more note once you put the toilet togther and its not leaking, never turn the Screws in the tank that will cause a leak, if you need to tighten the tank only turn the Nuts.... Got this tip from a plumber, after my tank started to leak when I turn the screws because the tank seemed to move more then I wanted. It was not leaking, should have left it alone.

Old 12-16-08, 11:39 AM
D
I had the same leaking problem as Ntrikit and used ray2047's "double-nutting" solution and it worked perfectly. That's may be how the tank to bowl kit is supposed to be used, as it came with additional gaskets and washers, but I had to come here to get the instructions. Thanks all.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: