HELP!!! Fixing shower cartridge - some water behind wall

Old 06-28-07, 03:43 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HELP!!! Fixing shower cartridge - some water behind wall

Hi!

Long story, but I finally was working on changing the cartridge in my Moen shower faucet (which I believe to be a posi-temp faucet).

I thought I had the water off (we have a well tank and I turned it as far as I could). When I finally was able to yank the cartridge out, water came bursting out. Some got behind the wall (there is drywall on the other side). I did use some plastic to route the water in the shower, so there wasn't too much that got back there. Do I need to be worried about rot/mold? Please don't tell me I need to open it up and re-drywall/patch it (which I'd have to pay someone to do).

Before you say what an idiot, I know!! I did actually open the sink faucets to see if the water had drained. I couldn't run the shower faucet since I had an end cap on (I attempted this several weeks ago and finally today got a tool so I could actually get the cartridge out - I had everything apart). I realize this was completely idiotic of me.... I had to use a jar opener rubber thing to actually turn the handle far enough to stop the water (and even then the sink faucet still ran a little) - this was after talking to a neighbor who told me I had the right shutoff and it probably wasn't all the way off.

Trust me, I've learned my lesson!

Thanks!!

Old 06-28-07, 04:37 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi, Don,t Worry about it. Some water always leaks out when you change a cartridge and it will dry out in a couple of days.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 06-28-07, 06:10 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks!!

That definitely makes me feel better......

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: