moving a tub into a small bath suggestion?

Old 07-04-07, 03:44 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face moving a tub into a small bath suggestion?

Hi,

I'm replacing a 60" tub in a tiny 5' x 5' bathroom. (as soon as you step out of tub, it's less than 4' 10" wide.) I'm hoping to be able to move in the new tub without cutting a complete hole in the wall.

The opposite wall from showerhead is an outside wall (cinder blocks). And the showerhead wall is a bad choice because that's where the kitchen sink, countertop and cabinets are.

So, I'm hoping to be able to cut a few studs where the diverter is and be able to rotate the tub into position. Based on my calculation, 1-4" extra length should be enough.

Has anyone done something like this? I would hate to cut kitchen cabinets to be able to install a tub.

Help!

Old 07-04-07, 06:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I don't want to be the bearer of doom, but it ain't gonna happen. In addition, you may or may not be able to get it out of the door, which is probably less than 30" at the stop molding. Measure the tub diagonally from the top left to the bottom right. That is the distance you will need to invert it to get it out of the room.
Have you considered repairing and refinishing the one you have?

Old 07-04-07, 08:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think it can happen if you use a fiberglass tub. The back of the tub is not a problem but I had to remove sheet rock on both end walls in front so the tub front corners would clear.I tipped it length ways. It wont be easy but I just put one in a 5x8 bath, used a three piece surround

Old 07-05-07, 04:07 AM
Only problem I see is the OP's bath is only 5'x5', negating any possibility of tilting the tub.

Old 07-05-07, 05:42 AM
N
Michael,

That' sounds like a good idea. You're basically saying the flexibility of the fiberglass tub will allow me to bend the front corners so the when I tilt down it will clear about 60"?

I have no problem cutting some drywall/stud. It's far better than cutting kitchen cabinets and pipes.

The tub was refinished 1-2 years ago and the finish already looks bad now. The homeowner doesn't want to spray the tub this time.

Old 07-05-07, 07:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The top of my tub faucet end was against the studs the corner of the other end (which was the high end) went between the studs as I lowered it to the floor. I did not flex the tub.

Old 07-05-07, 07:38 PM
To reiterate, measure the tub body diagonally from the top of one end including any flanges to the bottom of the other end. This is the hypontenuse of the triangle you will form if you try to lift one end of the 60" tub in a 60" room. If removing drywall gives you the sufficient space to tilt the tub, good luck. Using the Pythagorean theorum: the square root of (60+ 60 squared) +(16+16 squared) would be about 62 clear inches.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: