How to remove pop-up tub drain stopper?

Old 07-05-07, 11:56 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question How to remove pop-up tub drain stopper?

My tub's drain is clogged, and I'm trying to remove the stopper to clean out any hair and built-up soap gunk.

I can't figure out how to remove the stopper. It's the kind you push down on to close, and pull up to open. It's metal, and has a 1/2" diameter metal "knob" on top to help pull it open. But I can't figure out how to pull it all the way out. I've tried twisting it to unscrew it, and pulling really hard to just yank it out, but to no avail.

Any idea how to pull it all the way out?

Thanks!

-Mark

Old 07-05-07, 05:13 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ther are two kinds that I know of that are maybe like yours. But you neglected to say that to close it if you also have to give it a slight turn to allow it to drop down. The 2 kinds I am familiar with require that.

If that is the kind you have, then you either have the kind that unscrews or you have the kind that has a set screw that secures the stopper to the shank. Bend down there when it is open and rotate the stopper to see if you see a phillips screw under the top of the stopper. If you don't see one, then lower the stopper, and use a channellocks pliers and first try turning the knob portion. If it unscrews the whole stopper - great. But if ONLY the knob starts to unscrew form the stopper, then you will have to open the channellocks to get around the entire stopper. Only raise the stopper off the bottom of the tub a tad - enough to get the channellocks around it. You have to have the stopper down low because if you don't, the stopper will just easily spin in circles. These types of stoppers unscrew in the normal direction.

Go easy on it and do not let channellocks slip. You may want to put rag in jaws to prevent crush marks on stopper edge. IF you cause a couple burrs, file them off when finished.

Old 07-05-07, 06:44 PM
M
Thanks, I'll try that! As soon as I get back home, I'm all over it.

I never noticed having to turn the stopper to get it to drop down, but I'll give that a look, too, and I'll report back here.

Thanks again!

Old 07-06-07, 08:23 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you don't have to turn it to make it stay up there, or likewise turn it some to make it drop, then what makes it go down - or - what makes it stay put in the up position?

The push-type ones don't have/need knobs on them to my recollection. And the type stoppers that rely on you flipping a lever at the overflow don't have/need knobs on them either.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: