TUB Floor not level

Old 07-05-07, 02:39 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
TUB Floor not level

I have a question I'd like some feedback on.
Just replaced my old tub with a new acrylic one. Had the plumber come by to install it, hook up the drain etc. so far so good and the tub fits snugly in the 5' opening as it should.

Now the problem.
When they were done installing the tub the side wall was screwed in as was the end by the drain but the back wall was not secured since the studs were about 3/8" away from the tub for some reason. He explained the studs in the exterior wall must have shrunk or were not even with the wall plate.
I was trying to figure out how to compensate for this when I install my aquaboard on the walls above the tub. So until I had that figured out I decided I would at least cut the 5' section and hang it on the back wall. This is when I realized the tub is not level since the floor is not level.
The floor appears to slope down by about 1" over the 5' length of the tub.
So if you can picture all this my questions are sort of:
1. How do I compensate? I guess if I was really ambitous I would take the tub out and level the floor?
2. If I don't want to go to that route should I be able to compensate by installing a tub suround and just cutting it on an angle along the bottom?
3. We were planning on doing tile but I think that would prove to be difficult as I wouldn't be starting with a level surface.

TIA, Mark

Old 07-05-07, 07:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Mark, is it sloping toward the drain? If so, let it go. As far as the space between the studs and the tub flange, you will need to shim this space from the flange to the ceiling. Use a good concrete backer underlayment prior to installing the walls.

Old 07-05-07, 10:10 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes it is sloping towards the drain and I did 'just let it go'.
I decided it was likley one of those things where I'd always be thinking of it (at least initially) and if I do it right won't be noticable afterwards.
I went with aquaboard on the walls. I guess cement backer board is now the better choice?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: