Toilet Flange Installation Question

Old 07-08-07, 09:51 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet Flange Installation Question

I need to install a closet flange spacer to bring the flange up so it is level with the new pergo floor. I have the new spacer but the installation holes don't line up with the holes in the old flange on the floor. I don't just want to caulk the flange extender and place it on the old flage. Can I just attach the extender flange over the old flange and drill some holes in the old flange, then use some wood screws and attach the new extender over the old flange into the subfloor? Basically I want to drill hles in the old flange but I don't know if that will end up causing me problems later. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 07-08-07, 11:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
The main thing to consider is the keyway for the hold down bolts. They must match the original. You can silicone the new one on top of the old one since the hold down bolts will keep everything tight. Drilling through the original flange is an option if it is pvc as well. Just make sure your hole is large enough for the screw to pass through into your subflooring.

Old 07-08-07, 01:08 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well the keyway on the original is not the same on the spacer. The spacer only has two "U" shaped holes for the bolts. So what I will have to do it put the bolts in the original flange and then slide the spacer over the flange. One I use the silicone and put the spacer on I will not be able to remove the bolts without ripping the spacer back out and redoing all the silicone. But that will only be if I have a problem and have to remove the toliet once its installed.

I just wanted to know if I will be ok with just using the silicone on the spacer without actually using screws and mounting the spacer to the subfloor. I'm not sure what the correct method is of installing that spacer. Thats why I asked if I had to screw it to the subfloor.

Old 07-08-07, 05:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
You should be ok doing it the way you have described. However, I have never seen an extension ring that wasn't an exact duplicate of the one below it. But if you can get the holes to line up, silicone it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: