Slight humming noise when running shower.

Old 07-09-07, 09:13 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Slight humming noise when running shower.

I have noticed recently that when taking a shower(not a shower tub combo) we sometimes get a humming noice that seems to originate from the shower head but not sure. We can hear the humming more in the downstairs room below the shower. It doesnt do it all the time but gets a little annoying. I thought it might be water hammer but since this is occurning while the water is running and not when its turned off I have kinda ruled that out. None of the other fixtures in the house make this noise. Any ideas on what might cause this?

Old 07-09-07, 02:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
It's really one of the newer tuning forks so you can key your singing in the shower to the proper pitch!....No, seriously, the water saving device in the shower head may have some trash in it. Remove the shower head and you will see a little (probably blue) shuttle. Pull it out with a pair of needle nose pliers or hemostats (never leave home without them). Reinstall the head and try the shower without it to see if the noise is still there and post back.

Old 07-09-07, 03:39 PM
M
Thanks for the reply. The showerhead was actually clean. I did check to see if you hear the noise without the showerhead and you do but only slightly. The water pressure isnt high so, I dont think thats it. Do you think maybe some sort of valve has gone bad?

Old 07-09-07, 04:15 PM
Yes, it could also be a valve is only partially open or the washer for a particular valve has come loose and is vibrating in the tube. Check at the water heater and any other valve in the system and let us know. See if all the valves operate properly, ie. shuts off the water fully. If not, then that valve washer may be the culprit.

Old 07-10-07, 08:02 PM
M
I have tried to isolate the other fixtures and only notice the noise when running the shower. Its just started to do this within the last week. Its a constant humming noise while the water is running. Strangely its not doing this all the time. This morning it didnt make the noise, but made it again tonight. I also noticed that turning the handle so the shower is full blast and then turning it back to normal sometimes stops the noise. Im still wondering if the showerhead is the culprit. I have also noticed what sounds like a crackling noise originating from the showerhead

Old 07-13-07, 04:47 AM
I would place money on the shower head, but don't discount the mixing valve being the culprit, too. There could be a weak spring or washer in it allowing water to flow at an intermittent rate. After you check out the shower head, turn the water off to the house and pull the mixing valve and see if anything is out of the ordinary. No mention as to the age of the unit, so it may be time to replace the cartridge or washers.

Old 07-13-07, 01:25 PM
M
Again thanks for the reply. I tried it with a different shower head and actually get the same results a humming/whining noise when the faucet is turned about 3/4 of the way towards hot. If you turn it all the way to hot no noise and a no noise at the coldest setting, so I am starting to think it may be the mixing valve. Its a delta faucet and only 4 years old. Now I just need to figure out how to get to the washer. Is this something I can do by just removing the shower handle or will I need to cut into the wall behind the shower. Do you know have a link to a website that might show me how to do this?

Old 07-13-07, 04:08 PM
Now, with the further information, it sounds as if it is at an apex point of between hot and cold, and could be the cartridge or washers. It will be accessible from the front. You will have to turn off the water to the house in order to remove it, but a little exploratory surgery won't hurt. Make special note of how the nylon gears are associated with each other so you can put them back in the same order when you reassemble it.
Let us know how it goes.

Old 07-13-07, 05:39 PM
M
This may sound dumb but I have never done this before and dont want to mess it up. Getting access to the cartridge is no problem but how do I remove it? Does it just slide out?

Old 07-14-07, 04:03 AM
Not knowing the make or model I'll have to give you a generic instruction. You may can google the make and model and get a pdf file on how to do your own model. Usually there is a collar nut holding the cartridge in. After removing the nut, the cartridge will slide out. If you can't find the instructions and diagrams on a google search, let us know the make and model and we will see what we can do.

Old 07-14-07, 07:06 AM
M
Again thanks for the response. I will see if I can find the model. Its a delta but was put in by the builder and I dont think they left any information on the model.

Old 07-14-07, 02:40 PM
E
I had a shower head that made noise also in just the hot position and I got a very obnoxious whistling sound (mine had a whistle, but nonetheless it was a steady noise like you experience) and I stopped it by switching to a different shower head made out of different material, as I believe the whistling one was plastic, and I put in a metal one and also may have done something with the water saver to either enlarge or reduce it's size (can't remember). But this totally stopped it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: