Sink leak under the bowl -- not the pipe or joint

Old 07-09-07, 12:18 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Sink leak under the bowl -- not the pipe or joint

I just put in a one piece cultured marble sink and counter top combo. All the pipes and joints are dry, water runs when and how it's supposed to.

But the problem: after several handwashings the bowl will show saturation on the unglazed underneath part and a puddle begins to collect on the vanity floor below the drip.

The water pools towards the front of the sink, at centre. This is on the underneath -- the counter top and all joints are dry. I have tested and found the sink's overflow to work correctly.

Any ideas? Can I repair? It's really heavy and of course it would be a real pita to uninstall.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-07, 03:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! OK, did you use a sealant on the rim of the drain prior to installing it into the sink hole? The manufacturer will specify what to use, and most likely they don't want you to use plumber's putty. Did you put the rubber washer on directly under the sink hole, followed by the cardboard washer, then the nut? Let us know if any of these were skipped, as it appears water is seeping past the rim of the drain.

Old 07-10-07, 07:15 AM
M
Thanks Chandler for the reply. These are great forums and I've been reading through finding lots of useful things.

This sink has the same drain as our other sink and in 5 years it hasn't leaked: a rubber washer underneath and then a plastic nut -- no cardboard and no sealant between rim and hole. It's a different material though so would that make a difference?

But here's where I don't understand how you think it could be the drain: all around the drain is dry -- the moisture is collecting about 2 inches in front and slightly up hill of the drain hole. There's no moisture between the drain and this wet spot.

I could redo the drain connection -- that's still easier than returning the sink.

What do you think?

Old 07-10-07, 04:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The reason I mentioned the sealant between the rim and the sink with marble, you can't use plumber's putty as it will discolor the marble, Some manufacturers suggest using silicone. BUT, as you say, it is not coming from the flat place under the rubber washer, so, and I hate to say it, there may be an air hole in the casting of the sink. You don't see an obvious crack, do you? Wait until it is perfectly dry, Fill the sink with water and put a light under the cabinet so you can see when it starts leaking. That would be about the only way to see where it emanates from.

Old 07-11-07, 03:29 PM
H
Your problem sounds similar to mine with the tub filler. Check it and see if it is actually the same, then we both can find a common solution.