Fix water lead behind tub filler

Old 07-09-07, 09:55 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fix water lead behind tub filler

So I had to do an emergency tile repair a couple years ago due to bad water proofing by previous owners. While tiling, I found that I had built out the wall slightly too far to get the tub filler screwed securely on. I ended up getting a cheap replacement (the kind that has a slot in the bottom where you can get a screwdriver to screw the fitting onto the pipe). If memory serves, I also ended up not having tile completely behind it. I think I cut the tile out around the filler, and not just around the pipe (I know, I know).

I have had a very small leak out of this when the water is diverted up to the shower (water backs up in the filler a bit, and runs down the wall). I can see the back of the backerboard through a hole in the ceiling of the unfinished basement, and I can see it is coming through that pipe hole. I have not worried too much about it, but now we are finishing the basement, and this will leak into the covered ceiling.

I am wondering now if there is some way I can A) put some kind of small extension on the pipe fitting (solder a couple inches on) so that the original filler will fit; B) cover the entire (covered) surface with something without having to try to remove and repatch a hole (patch in backerboard, retile, etc.).

I should note that the entire vent stack was just replaced, so the wall on the other side of the shower is currently open, exposing the shower piping. I suppose one way to do it would be to yank the pipe out, and replace it, cutting the new pipe to fit.

Thanks!

Old 07-10-07, 04:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
How is the spout held on....some screw on a male adapter, while others have a series of o-rings and is held on via a set screw on the underside, and just slides off. You mentioned both, and one won't work with the adapter installed, and the other requires it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: