Tub Drum Trap cover Corroded

Old 07-11-07, 07:47 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tub Drum Trap cover Corroded

This morning after 2 showers it was noticed that water was dripping below the tub area through my nice newly finished drywall ceiling. I pulled the access panel at the tub and discovered that the lid to the drum trap was loose. The threads were completly corroded with the lid essentially just sitting on the trap. The water level looked appropriate and i believe the trap is brass.

This house is over 100 years old with this plumbing being probably 30 years old. I am planning on gutting the bathroom within the year and am wondering if there is a quick fix for sealing this lid without replacing the whole drum. Can i use a rubber seal similar to the covers for the pvc clean outs?

Is this common or a reflection of a more serious problem???

Thanks for your advice.

Old 07-11-07, 02:47 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There is an approx. 4 inch Fernco-type rubber cap and stainless band clamp. On some I have done, like yours, I have had to go around the cicumference with several wraps of electrical tape first in order to increase the traps o.d. more so the Fernco would be a tighter fit. On other traps, it is a perfect fit as is.

Old 07-12-07, 04:54 AM
T
Great...that's what i ended updoing last night. I use the 4" cap in conjunction with plumbers epoxy / sealer as suggested from HD. The cap was a little loose as you mentioned but the sealer has appeared to work after the showers this morning. I also have newspaper laying around the trap to act as my canary and will keep an eye on it. Thanks for the advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: