Hot Water ONLY from Shower Faucet

Old 07-14-07, 12:28 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Hot Water ONLY from Shower Faucet

The shower has three faucets, all are of the pull up-and-move-to-the-right-or-left type handles. They ALL are running hot only from the cold side, almost to the scalding point. The type of faucet is AMERCIAN STANDARD. The two sinks in the same bathroom have no problem with the cold water. No other sinks in the house have the problem. Bathroom is closest to hot water heater. If anyone has any ideas on what could be wrong, hope you share them.

Old 07-14-07, 02:28 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You say that hot comes out all 3 cold positions. But what comes out when you turn all 3 to hot? What happens if you turn one to hot and 2 to cold or other such combinations and feel all 3? Is this shower over a basement where you can go down below and look up at the piping?

Old 07-14-07, 05:18 PM
C
Very interesting! When I turn the TUB on HOT, and then turn the shower on COLD, cold comes out of the shower!! When I turn the TUB on COLD, and the shower on COLD, then hot comes out of both!! The house is a raised ranch with no basement. The bathroom is on the lower floor almost next to the boiler room. I there's access through the ceiling panels.

Old 07-16-07, 07:11 AM
E
Could you describe all these "faucets" that you have to the best of your ability, and where they are all located on your shower?

Old 07-18-07, 04:28 AM
C
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
Could you describe all these "faucets" that you have to the best of your ability, and where they are all located on your shower?
Yes. There's a shower head high on the back board, with one straight, verticle handle that you pull out to turn the water ON, and turn to the right for COLD and left for HOT.

There's a shower head, below that, about mid-way down, exactly like the high one.

Then there's the TUB faucet, which has the same kind of handle.

There's actually a picture on the internet:
community.webshots.com/user/christsjoy
It's in the ALBUM called Omaha Nebraska Asian Style. ;-)

joy g.

Last edited by CKGinc; 07-18-07 at 04:41 AM. Reason: adding
Old 07-18-07, 07:25 AM
E
Originally Posted by CKGinc View Post
Very interesting! When I turn the TUB on HOT, and then turn the shower on COLD, cold comes out of the shower!! When I turn the TUB on COLD, and the shower on COLD, then hot comes out of both!! The house is a raised ranch with no basement. The bathroom is on the lower floor almost next to the boiler room. I there's access through the ceiling panels.
In yor quote above, did you say that right? You say cold comes out the shower when you turn it to cold (your second line, above)? What is wrong with that?

Can the 3 water outlets work at the same time OR independent of each other?

Old 07-20-07, 03:36 PM
C
Talking

>

The shower will **ONLY** run COLD from the cold position IF I have the TUB running burning hot at the same time.

Actually, I was wrong about the top two shower heads. There's only one hot/cold knob and there's a knob that monitors where the water comes out: It can come out of the top shower head, the middle shower head or both.

When I just turn the TUB on cold, and not the shower, the water runs HOT.

When I just turn the SHOWER on cold, and not the TUB, it runs HOT.

When I turn both TUB and SHOWER on cold, they both run HOT.

When I turn the TUB on HOT and at the same time, turn the shower on cold, the shower runs COLD. [But there's burning hot water at our feet.]

Our temperature on the hot water heater is turned up as high as it will go. Maybe it's thermal expansion? Hot water is leaching back into the cold water supply from the hot water heater??

Guess we could turn down the temperature. ;-)

Last edited by CKGinc; 07-20-07 at 03:37 PM. Reason: corrected spelling ;-)
Old 07-20-07, 04:51 PM
E
Changed mind on cause.

Go down to basement and feel the temp of the cold water and hot water pipes as they head from basement to this tub/shower, when you run your r combinations up there.

Thermal expansion is a good theory if you have some type of check valve and/ or back flow prevention on it's own, or with a pressure reducing valve, coming into the house I suppose.

Old 01-20-08, 01:16 PM
H
Moen TL188 Shower handle

I have been in a brand new condo with a Moen Posi Temp shower kit. THere is hot water in all sinks but none in the showers. There the water is luke warm at best. I found some directions on the Moen site for fixing it (we'llsee...) but can't figure out how to take the shower handle off. there's a hole on the underside but it's not for a regular flat head or Phillips head screwdriver, which are the only tools I own besides a hammer and an allen wrench from my Ikea purchases... How can I take the handle off to set the temperature higher?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: