Flush Problem

Old 07-16-07, 08:47 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Flush Problem

I recently purchased a house that has 7 Kohler commodes. Several of these commodes have the tendency to overflow when flush after a heavy bowl movement or perhaps using a lot of tissue. This is not a frequent occurence. 98% of the time, they flush with no problems. I have removed 3 of the commodes to check the pipes and they are all clear. A 5 gallon bucket of water poured rather quickly, does not back up at all when poured directly down the pipes or poured into the commode itself.

We have owned several homes and have never had this problem with commodes and our use of the commode habits have not changed.

2 Questions: What could cause this problem? And, is there a way to limit the amount of water dispensed to the commode to prevent an overflow in the case of a slow flush?

Thanks,
Phil

Old 07-16-07, 03:09 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you have 7 toilets, you must have quite the house, and quite the expense. That being the case, you might want to buy (used perhaps) one other type toilet (like an old fashion 3.5 gallon flush toilet) and install at the worst location to see what THAT one does.

Keep in mind that most toilets that are designed well will allow all the tank water to go in the bowl without overflowing the bowl. That is, only on the first flush with the water level starting out in the bowl at the normal height. You should never flush a toilet, say, back to back, when the water level is higher in the bowl from a previous poor flush.

Old 07-16-07, 04:47 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi. This is a problem I have encountered before on Kohler low flush toilets.I think the problem is that there is not enough water leaving the tank and the lack of water causes the toilet to plug then the over flow occurs when the tank refills. If you have a float on the flapper chain move it closer to the flapper to give the toilet a better flush.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 07-17-07, 07:20 AM
P
Flush Problems

Thanks for the feedback. I removed the old floats/flapper and replaced them with flappers only. Maybe that's the problem! Also, I'm attempting to reduce the amount of water that accumulates in the tank. If this doesn't work, then it's time to buy a new commode.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: