Iron Flange to Copper Drain Pipe Repair

Old 07-16-07, 05:19 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Iron Flange to Copper Drain Pipe Repair

Remodeling a bath: I pulled an old toilet out and found what looks like a cast iron flange that was at one time joined to a copper drain pipe (flange was 90% torn off pipe during prev. remodel). The pipe where it joined the flange is distorted. The flange was slipped over the drain pipe. Looks to me like the only thing making a seal was wax. QUESTION: If I get the pipe to somewhat round condition, slip a new flange over the pipe and secure the flange to sub floor (concrete Backer over 3/4" plywood) can I rely on a new wax ring to make the seal? Or, fill the void between inner flange and outside of pipe with silicone caulk and the install wax ring. In other words, can I NOT solder (or whatever process was originally used) or rejoin flange to pipe? Toilet is on the second floor so I really would like to get this right. Thanks.

Old 07-17-07, 04:19 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This is one of these things where you could ask different people and get different opinions on.

You could go that route, and after getting a new flange to go over and around the copper pipe you could first use ONE wax ring's wax and cram it into the void between the two parts, and then use another wax ring to set the toilet with.

Or, if your ID of the copper pipe is 3 3/4 inches or more, you could buy one of those pvc floor flanges that goes INTO a 4 inch pipe. These are niffty. They have a rubber seal around the extended pvc that goes into the sewer pipe. You 'set' it by tightening 3 allen set screws which flare out the rubber against the sewer pipe. You also screw it down to the floor. The inside of the sewer hole then is 3 inches, but this is perfectly fine. (To begin with, the copper will have to be about flush, or lower, than the top of your floor.)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: