Toilet wax ring

Old 07-17-07, 01:23 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Toilet wax ring

Am replacing an old toilet. Got the old one off with no big problems. However, the old wax ring is like chewing gum and putty combined. It worked its way into the base ring that is on the floor as I tried scraping it off, and is proving quite a challenge to get this wax cleaned out.
Other that spending some time scraping this all out, small chunk at at time, would anyone have any suggestions?
Does that ring itself come loose, and if it does would it then need replacement?
Thank you in advance for any suggestions and help
Sarge

Old 07-17-07, 02:46 PM
S
Question Toilet wax ring

Let me re-do the qurstion I posted on this.
I see that the plate the wax rings goes onto has screws that seem to hold it to the floor.
Can the base ring be removed without needing to replace it? I can clean the wax off of it much easier if I take it off, or just replace it should that be the case.
Again, thanks.
Sarge

Old 07-17-07, 04:31 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It basically sounds like you are describing wax. IS it wax you are dealing with? Basically a yellowish color. If it is, it comes off easily enough with a putty knife.

Old 07-17-07, 05:00 PM
S
Unhappy Toilet wax ring

It is wax, that I know. It is now the consistency of gum and putty. This stuff is so soft, as I tried "scraping" it off, a lot of it got down in the slots of a metal ring that bolts to the floor. The toilet is mounted to that ring. I cannot easily get to all of the old wax. I thought about taking the ring off and cleaning it, but I found I cannot break the screws loose to take it off.
I can sit there and just keep taking this stuff out in small dabs, but that looks like a few hours into itself.
I was hoping someone might know a short cut, or easier methiond of doing this.
Thanks,
Sarge

Old 07-17-07, 05:23 PM
E
There is no need to get the wax out of the slots.

Old 07-17-07, 07:30 PM
S
Red face Toilet wax ring

I had a suspicion that might be so, but I was thinking if I get this new toilet on, and it leaks because of that, I am going to have a somewhat non-understanding spouse.
Thanks
Sarge

Old 07-18-07, 07:41 AM
E
If you think that thee slots are there by design to catch extra wax being squished out, that is really not the case, because under the toilet is the horn which protrudes down a bit. When you set the toilet and tighten over the new wax, the horn prevents wax from squishing towards the middle where the drain hole is. Instead it squishes outward where there is plenty of room left for it to do so under the toilet

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: