Low Water Flow turned into larger problem

Old 07-19-07, 04:19 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Low Water Flow turned into larger problem

Ok, I have a double handled cartridge based faucet. The flow out of it was dismal. I tried removing the handles and cartridges and surging the water through to clear debris. This did not seem to do much as the water ran through the handle areas at full pressure. This led me to believe that the clog was between the handles and the neck of the faucet. I foolishly discovered that I could place the neck in the area where the handles go and run the water from the shutoff valves under the sink to do my dishes.

When I ran the water, I noticed a lot of silt and grime come out in the water. I had the neck in the cold water handle area, so I decided to repeat this process with the neck in the hot water handle area. Much less grime appeared. The real problem arose when I discovered that I could no longer fit the cartridge into the hot water handle area. What could have caused this?

Old 07-19-07, 04:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Have you looked into the cartridge tube to see if anything is blocking it? Did you cross thread the spout onto the cartridge flange? After all that trouble, I would pop for a new sink faucet set, but find out where the silt is coming from first. Are you on municipal water or a well? What type piping do you have coming in from your water source, galvanized, copper, pvc? Has there been any recent construction near your house lately?

Old 07-19-07, 06:49 AM
E
With that much junk in the water you would have a clogged up aerator (removable and cleanable or replaceable) at the end of the spout, if you have an aerator on your spout.

Are you on a well system and no filter, or have to change one out frequently?

Or could this sand or silty stuff really be fine grains of rust due to old galvanized pipes?

(I see Chandler acknowledged the two above sentences)

You did not explain what you mean exactly by that you can't get the cartridge to go back in. It be impossible for the hollow cylinder to shrink in diameter or the cartridge to grow in diameter. Is it because it won't bottom out the way it should? If say you had a Delta/Peerless faucet with those springs/rubber cups down inside, your flushing would have caused one or more rubber cups and/or springs with them to raise up and be laying outside their holes they seat in and not allow you to push the cartridge all the way back down!

Old 07-19-07, 10:32 AM
C
I've given up on this faucet, I'll be getting a new one soon. The clog is most definitely in the faucet somewhere, because the water runs fine elsewhere. When I say that the cartridge will not go in, I mean that it won't go in. It is a literal impossibility. The springs and rubber cups are in the exact place they should be in. The Aerator is completely clean and not a problem whatsoever. The clog happens after the water goes past the hot or cold handles but before it reaches the spout.

Thank you for all your help.

Old 07-19-07, 04:14 PM
E
What happens if the cartridge is out and you blow through the spout? Obviously, unrestricted air should come out.

Do you have a faucet with a sprayer by chance? Diverter failures inside the spout can cause malfunctions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: