toilet installation

Old 07-19-07, 01:42 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question toilet installation

Installing new toilet. In lieu of wax ring, got Fluidmaster wax free toilet bowl gasket.
Set gasket in place, no problems. Got base of toilet set, but unit rocks. I notice in instructions it warns against over tightening mounting nuts, and cracking unit.
Would I have to tighten these nuts extremely tight to crack the unit? I think I can stop the rocking by tightening the nuts somewhat more, and want to try that before calling in a $$$ per minute plumber to solve the rocking problem.
Thanks,
Sarge

Old 07-19-07, 02:54 PM
S
Cool toilet installation

Talked with man who installed toilet in his home. His take is the bowl gasket is not mating with the toilet correctly, or is not properly seating in the drain pipe.
If I take up the bowl, will that necessitate replacing this gasket?
Thanks in advance
Sarge

Old 07-19-07, 04:03 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I always stand on the toilet bowl's rim to make sure it is tight against the floor before tightening the nuts. It should not be rocking to any real degree even if the bolts are just barely snug, IF the toilet is against the floor. If it is, and rocks to the point where you wonder if you could keep going and tip the toilet, perhaps you sucked at least one of the bolts right through the flange. You would know this if you were able to keep tightening and discovered that the bolt part exposed is nearly as long as how they were in the package, and/or if ONE bolt is way longer than the other after you snug the toilet.

Old 07-19-07, 04:20 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Sound like the waxless ring your got was too thick for the install. Minor rocking can be quieted with small rubber shims tucked under the high spots. However, you want to be sure that the ring and toilet are indeed properly seated first as skysoldier suggests.

As far as overtightening to the breaking point, tighten only till you feel a good resistance on the nut. Try to go too far to tight and she will snap on you. The one good thing about a wax ring is that if it is too thick, the more you tighten, the more she will oooze out of the way until you get a solid attachment to the floor.

Old 07-19-07, 06:16 PM
S
Lightbulb Toilet installation

Tightened the nouts down until they were snug.
Bowl still wobbles a great deal.
Will pull bowl tomorrow when there is enough light to work with.
Floor underneath originally had linoleum up to drain. Taking off old bowl took a section of linoleum with it.
If that piece can be set back in and glued down flat, that may solve the rocking problem. In the interim will chase down some shims, in case.
It seems to trouble shoot this is to try a few ideas and see if any work. If not, then move on to other ideas.
Sarge

Old 07-21-07, 08:59 PM
S
Cool toilet installation

Putting the linoleum piece back solved nothing. On recommendation of salesman at Lowe's where I got toilet, I got shims. That leveled and stopped the rocking toilet.
Got all connected, discovered a drip leak where one of the mounting bolts comes through the bottom of the tank. I replaced those mounting bolts with an aftermarket set that included more rubber washers, thinking perhaps that might alleviate the problem.
I think that section of the bottom of the tank might have a minute chip broken out where the washer fits against the tank 's bottom. Is there something I can use to fill in around that area to stop the leak?
Lowe's said bring the unit back, and if they still carry that model, they will exchange it. But, I really do not want to go through dismounting, exchanging units, then mounting another one.
Thanks in advance
Sarge

Old 07-22-07, 08:55 AM
E
Try a bigger rubber washer. Make sure the center hole in the rubber is snug to the bolt threads. Depending on size of your chip-out you may also have to use a larger-than-bolthead brass or stainless steel fender washer under the bolt head first. Or, larger rubber washer, metal washer, then another rubber washer - and then slip this through the tank hole.

Old 07-22-07, 10:58 AM
S
Toilet installation

Added another flat washer and a rubber one. Both are slightly larger in diameter, bolt hole same size. That stopped a major part of the leak, but it continues slightly. I tightened the nut down, and it is snug. I am a little leary about too much for fear I will fracture the tank.
You mentioned pushing part of the rubber washer into the hole. The rubber washer at the head of the bolt where it goes down into the tank bottom is somewhat domed or nipple shaped, and inserts slightly into the hole. Or at least that is how I am using it. The installation diagram only shows metal and rubber washers in the order they go onto the bolt. It does not differentiate between any size or shape.
Would calking around the washer area, where it meets the tank, help?
If that solution does not work. or something similar, then it is off to Lowe's for an exchange.
Thanks for your assistance.
Sarge

Old 07-22-07, 01:06 PM
E
Domed rubber washers eh? That causes the washer to better wedge itself in the hole and push it against the bolt at the same time when tightened. But regular toilet tank-to-bolt kits usually include flat rubber washers that should fit tight to the bolt. You never said if yours do. How big of a chipout area we talking here? It don't go out behind the larger rubber washers does it? Surely you'd think you'd be able to stop this mechanically with just rubber. But yes, a caulk should be able to work I'd think. I recently bought a caulk at a big box store that is guaranteed to permanently adhere to concrete. And that "amazing" GOOP adhesive (not hand cleaner) I have talked about can bond almost anything.

Old 07-22-07, 03:25 PM
S
toilet installation

I amn keeping my fingers crossed, and hoping the problem was the lack of rubber washers and well seated washers.
As I once again removed the tank, I realized I had not included rubber washers between the metal washer and the bottom of the tank, I also found two more of the dome type rubber washers, and replaced the two flat ones where the bolt starts through in the bottom of the tank. So, I added all those rubber washers, bolted it all down, hooked it up and presently giving it the dry towel test. I will go look at the towel I have on the floor adjacent to the unit. I hope it is dry. If not, out comes the caulking, and if that does not work, back to Lowe's. Many thanks to Czizzi and ECMan51 for your assistance. Next is my dishwasher, and hopefully a little smoother opertation.
Again, thanks
Sarge

Last edited by Skysoldier; 07-22-07 at 03:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-22-07, 04:07 PM
S
toilet installation

Oh well, life ain't a bed of flowers.
I can feel the water dripping off the bottom edge of the tank, which leads me to think it is still leaking out the bolt hole.
I tightened it down just a bit more, but that did nothing.
So, tomorrow it gets caulked, or maybe just hauled over to Lowe's. Fellow working there said bring him model infor and tank, he did not need whole unit.
I have never had to be a handyman, with Army quarters just call maintenance and they handle it. Retirement sort of makes one be a semi handyman.
Again, my thanks for you help and patience.
Sarge

Old 07-22-07, 05:04 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Take it back, it shouldn't be giving you this much grief. If it is chipped then it is defective. You can caulk till the cows come home, but the repair will be under water, which is a tough place to make a permanent bond. If the caulk does not hold, will Lowe's still honor the return 90 days (or more) from now? Take it back while the guy still remembers your conversation about the replacement.

Hope you have more than one toilet in your house.......my wife wouldn't have been able to hold it long enough for you to make the repairs ;-)

Old 07-22-07, 08:41 PM
S
toilet installation

The longer I think, the closer I am to returning it. If I caulk it and that does nothing, Lowe's will likely not exchange it.
My wife is at a nursing convention, so I am safe until Wednesday.
Sarge

Old 07-24-07, 05:30 PM
S
Talking Tolet installation -the continuing saga

Lowe's exchanged the tank. Glad it was defective. They set it on the floor near several boxes of toilets and somone ran into it with a cart and broke it in pieces.
The cause of my problem was two-fold.
Where the anchor bolt comes out of the tank a very small peice of the tank had broken out just under where the rubber gasket would seat. It was just eniough to allow water to seep around the gasket.
The other problem was the gasket that goes around the drain on the tank where it fits onto the bowl. The diagram & instructions showed a gasket that looked as though it was tapered or domed shape. The one I thought was this gasket was the one that went in the wax ring.
The proper gasket was a thick one that resembles a donut.
So, new tank, proper gasket and we have a functioning toilet. Good thing. Wife gets back tomorrow and would not be a happy camper if this were out of service.
Unless I wake up with a flooded home, this thread is retired with many thanks to all who helped.
Sarge

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: