Delta single handle bath faucet, handle loose

Old 07-21-07, 07:54 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Delta single handle bath faucet, handle loose

Hi:

I've got a Delta single handle bath faucet in my bathroom. Probably 5 years old or so. When you lift the handle to turn the water on, it lifts fine. Problem is that it EASILY moves side-to-side....like it's loose and needs to be tightened somewhere. You can still adjust the hot and cold temperature by moving the handle to either side, but if you are not trying to change temp, the handle is almost floppy in it's sideways motion.

Any ideas?

And....THANKS for being here!

Old 07-22-07, 04:21 AM
S
Most Delta faucet handles have a plastic cap....the peice that says Delta or Hot/Cold etc on it....in the middle of the handle.This pops out and under it is a screw that holds the handle on to the actual mechanism of the faucet.....the stem or ball assembly.....that may need to be tightened and if so should eliminate looseness of the handle.

Old 07-22-07, 06:25 AM
G
Thanks for the reply.

On this faucet, the only indicator similar to what you mention is a small red/blue plastic plug on the UNDERSIDE of the handle. Should I attempt to pry that out and see if anything is behind it????? How would you suggest I get it out.....needle nose pliers? It's about the size of a pencil eraser and I've kind of tried to remove it before. It didn't come out and I was afraid to put any more pressure on it.

Thanks!

Old 07-22-07, 08:18 AM
S
Never seen a Delta like that but I'm not a plumber.Two thoughts here...one is that the plug conceals a set screw that holds the handle on and tightening that will solve the issue and two is that the cap on top often tends to blend into the handle when coated with soap residue,hand oils etc and look like it's all one peice.Take something like a razor blade with a sharp edge and see if you can find a seam.

At my store we sell replacement Delta handles and they all have the cap on top but that doesn't mean there aren't other types.

Old 07-22-07, 03:47 PM
G
Figured it out...

This is Delta's "Synergy" Single Handle Lav S.S.

Model 580-SSPU

Gently pry out the small plastic red/blue temp indicator on the underside of the handle. I used my smallest flat blade screwdriver to gently pry it out. Behind that resides an allen screw that in my case had come loose. Tightened it up and everything is now fine. Push the red/blue temp plug back in.

Hope this helps someone else down the road.

Old 07-13-08, 11:47 AM
G
Thanks I hadnt realized mine was loose until I put a new one in a different bathroom..............all better know!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: