Retrofitting old tub with new faucet and shower

Old 07-27-07, 01:18 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Retrofitting old tub with new faucet and shower

I am restoring an old bath where the tub is tiled into place with six-inch marble shelves extending beyond each end to the walls (i.e., the tub ends are in six inches from the walls). Originally the shower would have been on the side, but this is no longer feasible. Nor is it convenient to put a shower control on the end wall, because of the shelf. What I would like to do is use the existing tub holes, replacing the two faucets and spout, and have the spout be a diverter for the shower. The shower would be wall-mounted with an extension for the head.

But I can only find systems where the faucet controls are mounted on the wall. Is there a system with the controls in the tub?

Old 07-27-07, 05:19 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You have not really said how the design works/what is in all the holes, now. Where the tiled walls "go in" - is the tub spout underneath of where the wall "goes in"? Was this design for taking baths only? If so, could you simply leave most of everything alone?, but just change out your tub spout to one of those divertor tub spouts that has the 'take off' on it for a handheld shower? and just mount the holder for it up on the wall? with perhaps an extension so the water goes out beyond the shelf?

Oh. And you can get these special divertor spouts for handheld showers where the riser pipe to the handheld shower goes straight up, exposed, and is rigid chrome coated pipe, instead of using the flexible rubber hose.

Old 07-29-07, 08:20 AM
J
Thanks. After more research, am going to bring it up to code by putting the spout and handles in the small tiled area between the tub lip and the marble shelf (about an eight-inch rise), then use an extender to bring the shower head well out over the tub. The wall on the side of the tub is tiled much higher than the ends, and the shower originally was there - a poor arrangement.

Old 07-29-07, 11:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Check around for controls and shower diverter for a clawfoot tub. It may work in your situation, not sure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: