Loud Toilet

Old 07-28-07, 04:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Loud Toilet

I live in a two story townhome. From the day we moved into this place, our powder room toilet downstairs has always been a loud flusher. But, lately it has been exceptionally loud. It sounds as though air is in the plumbing. (You know that sound your pipes make when you first turn the water on to your house.)
It is quite alarming and it sounds like the pipes are having trouble flushing the water from our toilet.

What could this be? Can I repair it?

Old 07-28-07, 04:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Alissa: welcome to the forums. It may not be the exiting water that is making the noise, but the valve inside the tank. Take off the tank top. Hopefully you have a gray fill valve with a black cup attached to it. If not, we will cross that bridge later. Turn the water off at the wall stop. Grasp the long tube coming up on the left side of the tank and turn the top cap, 1/4 turn ccw. It will release the top and under it you may find a little bit of "stuff" in the valve. Lay down the part in your right hand, get a cup from the kitchen, cup it over the valve you just opened up and slowly and lightly turn on the water stop. This will flush the stuff from the valve. Turn off the water. Reassemble the top, and turn back on the water and do a test flush.
If it still makes a loud noise, you may want to change out the existing valve with a Fluidmaster 400 for about $10 and be done with it. Let us know how it goes.

Old 07-28-07, 06:13 PM
Dern It

Hi Chandler. Thank you so much for your helpful direction. I carried my laptop into the bathroom to solve this problem, but was disappointed when I opened the tank. We don't have a gray fill valve with a black cup. We have just the skinny pole with the black balloon that floats on the water, a slim (one inch wide) white stuff tube going down the center of the tank with a white mildewy bendy tube pointing into it from another white stiff tube (on the left side of the tank).

Please don't be intimidated by my technical jargon. I assure you, I know nothing of what I saw in that tank.

Can you still help?

Old 07-29-07, 03:33 AM
What you described is exactly what I expected, so no problem. Go to the home center and pick up a Fluidmaster 400 fill valve kit. It should come with a flapper valve. If not, pick up one of those, too.
Open the casket, turn off the water, flush the toilet, either vacuum or soak up as much water in the tank as possible. Where the water supply goes up, undo that nut releasing the fill tubing. Under that you will see a large nut. Undo that, and your fill valve will come out, after you pull that slimy little tube off the overflow. Remove the flapper which should be held with two ears in the bottom of the tank. If not, describe how it is held in and we'll tackle that after we get the valve installed.
Install the valve with the rubber washer on the inside of the tank and install the nut underneath, as well as the water supply pipe. Be sure to attach the little black unslimy tube to the clip and insert it into the overflow.
Turn the water back on and let it fill up. If the water level winds up too low or too high (1" below the top of the overflow), adjust the cup with the "V" shaped stopping thingy. Flush it and report back.

Old 07-30-07, 05:08 PM
Smile Okay

Roger that!

We will do that. I will report back soon.
Thanks!

Old 08-04-07, 02:18 PM
Talking Finally

Hey there!
We are finally headed to Home Depot to get the stuff you suggested. I think we will have time to take care of it this weekend.
We have been doing some improvements around this place, and the toilet is finally being attended to!

Old 08-05-07, 11:51 AM
P
chandler is right on but i'd like to add something. if the shut off valve at the wall and supply line to the toilet are one piece, they should both be replaced. the "flexible" metal supply lines like to kink and split when moved even a little. hopefully you have a shut off valve and a separate supply line. if that's the case, and the supply line is the white nylon variety, i'd replace that with a braided stainless steel covered one. much higher burst pressure and they're only a few bucks.

if the stop and supply line are one piece, here's how to go about replacing them. the valve will either be threaded onto a steel or brass nipple leaving the wall or compressed onto a copper pipe. if you have the threaded variety, just spin the old valve off counter clockwise, put a few wraps of teflot tape and a dab of pipe dope on the threads, and tighten the new valve back on. all this done with the water off, of course. next the supply line goes on the valve and to the new fluidmaster fill valve you just bought. if you have a copper pipe leaving the wall you need a pair of adjustable wrenches. put one on the body of the shut off valve and the other on the nut that's closest to the wall. as you are looking at the valve, turn the wrench on the nut (the wrench closest to the wall) clockwise. when the nut is free from the valve, you can remove the valve from the wall. there will be a nut and a brass ferrule still on the pipe. now, these should be removed and replaced with new ones but you need a special puller to do it and they can be reused with good results. take the nut that came with the new valve and screw it on the old valve you just removed. this will ensure that the threads are the same. if that works out, put some pipe dope on the threads of the new valve and put it on the pipe. tighten the nut to the valve and attach the supply line the same as above.

hopefully you have a separate valve and supply line and you didn't read any of this.

Old 08-12-07, 06:15 AM
Getting Started

OK - the supply line and the water valve are separate. They make a 90 degree angle where they meet. They are both of the metal variety. The tank has been emptied and we are getting ready to try to fix the noise.
Will report back shortly.

Old 08-12-07, 07:27 AM
Angry Arg!!!

You are NOT going to believe this. We were nearly finished. We were at the point where you are supposed to remove some cap to the fill tubing to turn the water on and off a few times then back off again. Right before you allow the tank to fully fill again for use. When we realized that the kit came without a friggin cap!!!
My husband is off to Home Depot to run down a cap.

Old 08-12-07, 10:23 AM
Alissa: The cap they are referring to is the black cap on top of the fill unit. Just lightly pry it off. Then turn the lever part 1/8th turn to the left (CCW) and allow it to hang free. Place a cup over the end of the unit and turn the water on and off several time to flush the unit out. Replace the lever part and press on the cap. Make sure you install the small hose to the fill tube and fasten it properly. Post back with further adventures.

Old 08-12-07, 10:32 AM
Talking Woohoo!!

Thank you so much Chandler. And thanks for your contribution P-nor. The toilet is fixed! It flushes like a toilet should (i.e. without rocking the entire house with racket when flushing). We are soooooo happy! Finally I can use the downstairs bathroom without worrying about waking my baby!

Now onto the broken vent!

Thanks again!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: