Toilet floor bolt problem

Old 07-29-07, 07:17 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toilet floor bolt problem

I have just removed the 3rd toilet in my home in preparation to re-do the walls of the bathroom. This floor (mostly under-ground), which is on top of a cement slab, does not contain the flange to fit the new floor bolts as the previous 2 upstairs toilets had. This was unknown before removal.

Since there was so much corrosion (house was built in 1978 and this is the original toilet), I had to cut the bolts in order to remove the toilet. These bolts appear to be cemented into the floor (no flange), but they are cut (on top, where they would secure the toilet itself) very short so positioning the toilet back in place and securing will be next to impossible, if not completely impossible.

Any suggestions for when I want to re-secure this toilet back in it's position? I will need to use new bolts, but not sure how because of the lack of flange/cement use. Input is greatly appreciated.

Kensie

Old 07-30-07, 08:44 AM
A
Is it a cast-iron drain or PVC?

Old 07-30-07, 03:07 PM
M
Adam-
It appears to be a PVC pipe, not cast iron.

Upon looking at this situation a bit further, it looks like a cement anchor was used (like a wall anchor, just into the cement) and I will attempt to unscrew the bolt portion but without a head, it's going to be difficult. I've cleaned it out very well (wax and corrosion), and used WD40 to try and grease it up and will use a vice grip to try and remove the remaining piece. If that doesn't work........I'm out of options. Call the plumber I guess.

Got more than I bargained for on this one, it as supposed to be easy, like the other 2 toilets were. I'm still taking ideas if you have any!!! Thanks!

Kensie

Old 07-30-07, 03:47 PM
A
You should be able to use something like this: http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/51-291-closet-flanges/pvc-closet-flange-spacer-ring-117838.aspx

Just screw it down dead center over the drain with cement screws(need to predrill the holes, smaller than the actual screw of course).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: