Toilet tank won't stop filling

Old 07-30-07, 07:08 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toilet tank won't stop filling

Just now went to flush the toilet and nothing happened. I looked in the tank and it was completely empty. I GENTLY tapped on the flush valve (I guess that's what it's called...the thing with the float) and the tank filled but then wouldn't stop...even when the float is at its highest. I've turned the water cutoff to the toilet as far as it will go, but water is still filling the tank. Not knowing what else to do, I turned off the main water to the house.

What can I do to fix it?...is it the flush valve inside the tank or the cutoff to the toilet?...or something else?

I'd like to fix it asap so I can turn my main water on without having to sit and make sure the tank doesn't doesn't overflow.

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-30-07, 08:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Purchase a Fluidmaster 400 toilet valve and replace your old one. You probably have an arm with a ball on the end of it. The newer ones use a vertically mounted cup. If you have problems installing the new one, please post back and we will walk you through it.

Old 08-14-07, 06:41 PM
H
ditto on the last reply replace the flapper too

Old 08-15-07, 06:55 AM
T
"I've turned the water cutoff to the toilet as far as it will go, but water is still filling the tank."

The water to the tank should stop when you turn off that valve. As long as the main water is off, you probably should replace that cutoff valve too. Hopefully, it's a compression valve and you should be able to pick up one of the same size 1/4-turn valves (these are just easier to turn on and off...you could get a regular one too) to replace it. Heck, remove it and take it with you to save yourself a trip!

Good luck,
Tom

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: