access panel inside shower stall?

Old 08-05-07, 07:43 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
access panel inside shower stall?

Hi,

Is there a good way to build a waterproof access panel in an otherwise tiled wall? More specifically, I need to put an access panel in one wall of a shower stall so I can access a jacuzzi pump. This is a situation where there's a tub and shower stall abutting each other. The tub will be the type that drops into a platform. The platform and the shower stall will be tiled.

Thanks for any input
Ken

Old 08-05-07, 07:54 PM
P
so, the side of the tub that contains the pump is butted up agianst a tiled in shower? i would look at either of the sides as possible locations for an access panel. one is going to be in the skirt of the tub and the other will either be in another room or an outside wall. i would be very hesitant to try and make a waterproof access panel in the shower.

Old 08-06-07, 04:51 AM
N
Yes, the end of the tub (or more correctly the tub platform) is butted up against the shower stall. Actually, that end of the platform is part of the shower stall. This is a case where the glass shower enclosure rests on the tub platform. It's actually a pretty common layout. It's just that this is a jacuzzi tub with a pump that requires access.

I built something like this in the past. My solution then was admittedly a bit cheesy. I framed that end of the platform with an opening that was large enough for access. Then, when I put the backerboard on it, I put a separate piece over that opening. Also, the opening was designed so that it matched the tile layout.

That way, if I needed to gain access, I'd remove several tiles, and remove the piece of backerboard. The planning-ahead meant that I wouldn't have to cut any tiles or backerboard. Obviously it meant I had to keep a stock of the tile to re-cover the hole whenever needed.

I'd rather do it in a more professional manner this time, but I don't know what my options are.

Thanks
Ken

Old 08-06-07, 03:20 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If this is on the first floor, could it maybe help you if you cut out some floor area between a couple of the joists? Let's say you tried that. You'd have to pick a spot that would make the most sense access wise. If yo did this, choose power tool that you can set depth so you don't saw through jaccusi hoses, cords, etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: