Wax Rings and Recessed Flanges

Old 08-07-07, 10:59 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wax Rings and Recessed Flanges

I just completed my very first Tiling job last night. I love the new look but am not sure how long to wait till I reinstall the toilet. Should I give the grout a few days to set before putting the toilet back? What about sealing the grout prior?

Also the flange is level if not slightly recessed in the tile now. I bought a No Seep #3 Wax ring. Is that one ok to use or should I have bought a bigger one? I wasn't aware at the time (wife got the ring for me) that there were different sizes.

Old 08-07-07, 02:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
You should wait a couple of days for the grout to seal good. AS far as the seal is concerned, it depends on how recessed the flange is. If you feel it is excessive, and the #3 won't work, I believe a #10 with bell is a thicker one and will help if you fear leakage. That or an extension ring siliconed to the existing one, and screwed in may help bring it to the level of the tile.

Old 08-07-07, 08:32 PM
P
idealy, the flange should sit on top of the finnised floor. when vinyl floors are converted to tile, the flange ends up being too low. a riser would work but if the floor is flat and level, and the toilet will sit down solid with no rocking, some extra wax works fine too. i usually just use 2 regular wax rings. the best fix would be to raise the entire flange before the tile job but that is almost never thought of at the time.

Old 08-08-07, 01:43 AM
C
Funny you should say that.. I asked in the tiling section prior to starting my job and everyone said it would be ok lol

Old 08-08-07, 05:49 AM
E
Nothing is done to raise original flanges because of the unnecessary expense of calling in a plumber. Extensions and/or extra wax work jsut fine when a tile job makes the original flange too low. Been in many tiled-over houses where nobody raised the flange.

Old 08-08-07, 10:53 AM
C
Should I get two #3s then? How do you know if you have a good fit?

Old 08-08-07, 05:32 PM
E
I prefer the flange extensions. They are shaped the same as the original cast iron one on the floor. You simply stack on one or two of these. One is probably good. You want the top height of the flange to be one flange-height above the finished floor. Too low and you don't get good compression. Too high and you will squish out all the wax at the very least and/or have the toilet rock ontop of a too high flange at the very worst.

You can buy these extension flange kits likely at bigbox stores. Ones I have bought give you 3 in a plastic bag along with sealant. You can also use silicone caulk.

Clean off the top of the cast flange as good as you can. Then insert your new toilet bolts. Be sure to slide those plastic washers down over the bolts afterward as these help the bolt to stay put better and more upright without leaning/moving. Position the bolts so that they are exactly parallel to the back wall and out the minimum 12 inches from the wall. Now goop up the cast iron flangetop with the sealant of your choice. Then set the pvc flange extension down over the bolts and onto the cast flange top.

If the toilet is on the first floor, you are ready to set he toilet. But if the toilet is for the second floor, I prefer to run a heavy bead of slicone caulk around the flange, between the flange and floor, forced dow in any gap, so that if the toilet ever overflows, or sweats, or the wax gasket fails, that you do not flood out your ceiling, and instead the water will show up on your FLOOR instead, where you can mop up. Some plumbers do not think this through and try to make their job look nice when they are done and they do NOT do that caulking, and instead caulk around the base of the toilet. By doing that, if there is a leak as I mentioned, the water has to leak through your ceiling! And if your ceiling is textured, the time and expense to try and match that!

Old 08-08-07, 08:49 PM
C
Can I still add an extension if I have already tiled around the flange?

Old 08-08-07, 10:57 PM
P
as long as you have left enough room in the tile to see the entire existing flange, you should be able to use the risers. if you go that route, make sure everything is cleaned and you use silicone or some other sealant. without something sealing the risers to eachother and the existing flange, they are much worse than using an extra wax ring and will leak.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: