Hot Knob Sounds Odd

Old 08-13-07, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hot Knob Sounds Odd

Hi there!
The cold knob in our downstairs bathroom makes no noise when water flows through it. The hot knob, on the other hand, makes an odd noise when you turn it on and water flows through it.
It sounds like a squealy-hum.
Is this a simple fix?

Old 08-13-07, 05:47 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Maybe a loose washer down inside, or the equivalent. This has to be a search and destroy mission. You will have to first shut off your whole house's water or the shut off valve under the sink, then test and make sure when you open up the faucet that no water comes out, before proceeding further.

You will just have to take out the valve stem or cartidge and visually inspect to see if something is out of place. And if that is not it, then you'd have to go under the sink and find out if the problem is in the valve under the sink. You will have to shut off the whole house's water in this case, so that you can take out the valve stem to see if the washer is correctly in place. With those standard chrome shut off valves under sinks, that have those oval shaped handles, you simply unsrew that big nut till it is totally loose and then unscrew the geared valvestem out. To reintall, you screw it back in, then tighten that nut.

Old 08-16-07, 07:04 AM
Yikes

Should a professional do that?

Old 08-16-07, 04:26 PM
E
If this seems more than you can handle.

Old 08-16-07, 04:36 PM
Too Much to Handle?

Well, you mentioned a couple of times that I needed to examine particular parts of the sink set up and determine if they are set up properly. If I know nothing about how they are set up, how would I be able to tell if they are in the proper setting?

Old 08-16-07, 04:57 PM
E
Trying to help. Provided enough basic info first time to someone who is somewhat in the know. But if you provide me with what steps you need to know exactly about, we can help you further. If I am not here, someone else I'm sure will.

Old 08-16-07, 06:01 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
With what Alissa has already handled, she can handle this. Do what Ecman says and post back if you get into a tight.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: