Toilet Flushes Too Vigorously

Old 08-15-07, 11:41 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet Flushes Too Vigorously

One of our toilets flushes too vigorously and splashes the bottom of anyone sitting on it at the time. It is ten years old and identical our on-suite toilet which doesn't have this problem. It has been doing this since we bought this house.
I would like to fix this without reducing the flow in terms of volume, but just in its initial intensity. Is there anything I can adjust?
Thanks,
Matt

Old 08-15-07, 06:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Matt, you may could take a coat hanger and run up into the holes in the rim. They may calcified over time and are causing errant water spray. Worth a shot.

Old 08-17-07, 10:55 AM
G
Thanks Chandler.
I tried your suggestion, but no luck. The water around here is naturally soft, so there's very little build up of scale etc.
It just seems that the initial flow is too hard.
I was thinking about reducing the flow where the water exits the tank with some kind of reducer but I'm afraid this could cause more trouble than I have now.
I'd appreciate any other suggestions from anyone.
Matt

Old 08-17-07, 04:34 PM
Matt: one question. Is the tank and bowl a matched pair? Or did someone replace either half for some reason or another? It matters for our answers.

Old 08-19-07, 08:34 AM
G
No, they are matched. They were new when we bought the house.

Old 08-19-07, 11:39 AM
OK, next step. Where is the water splashing from? Is it coming from the rim or splashing into the bowl from the rim, or splashing during the flush recycle motion? Also, what brand it is, and does it have a larger than normal tank-to-bowl throat, say 3" as apposed to 2"? Kohler makes a toilet that I don't want to be sitting on when it is flushed....really fast and really complete.

Old 08-19-07, 04:53 PM
G
The water is splashing mainly from the rim at the front otherwise the flow is quite even. It splashes immediately when flushed. The throat appears to be 2" in diameter. It is an American Standard with a 1.6 gallon capacity. The tank appears to be filled to the appropriate level.
Thanks!
Matt

Old 08-19-07, 06:55 PM
P
if it's been doing it since you have lived there it may have been doing this since it was new. it could be a casting defect that is letting more water to the front than it should.

Old 08-20-07, 03:54 AM
What p-nor said. I was hoping we could locate the problem, but with the good information you provided, it does appear to be a casting defect.

Old 08-20-07, 07:59 AM
C
Received 139 Votes on 112 Posts
Golfstix - Google American Standard and find their web site. Give their customer service a call and ask them what they think. Be sure to have your model number ready.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: