Shower drain hangs too low in basement

Old 08-19-07, 09:47 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower drain hangs too low in basement

First off, I'm a total plumbing novice. I'm in the process of finishing off the basement in my <5 year old home. As I've been drywalling the ceiling, I come to the point where the upstairs PVC shower drain hangs about an inch below the bottom of the ceiling joist. I cannot put the drywall in this location without raising the shower drain trap. Since I am such a novice, can anyone walk me through what I'd have to do to raise this shower drain trap? Also, the shower drain leaks on to the basement floor...what can I do to stop this leak?

Old 08-19-07, 11:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
If the shower leaks on the basement floor, and you can get to the drain assembly, remove it totally and rebuild it. In this rebuild you may can decrease the height of the ptrap, maybe not. Don't push it. It must have proper angling in order to drain properly.
After the rebuild and the ptrap still is too low, you may have to build a little deviation in your ceiling in order to facilitate it. Usually a small box jutting down just the size of the ptrap works.

Old 08-20-07, 04:04 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Do yourself a favour and check this out

If the trap leaks, replace it. If you need to save space use one of these 'EasyClean Waste Traps' I found ,you can get them here: http://www.aquaknight.co.nz/ViewProduct.aspx?id=5&details=technical
These are amazing- it saved me so much space and you'll never need to call a plumber again if the shower drain gets blocked because you can unblock them from the shower side by simply lifting out the lid- it has a mechanism that stops hair and debris from clogging up the drain. They have a compliant water seal within the body.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: