Leaking CENTRAL Faucet Handle

Old 08-20-07, 10:03 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaking CENTRAL Faucet Handle

Have a leaking cold water faucet in the tub/shower that is also very difficult for my kids to shut off. When utilizing the shower, water streams from the bottom of the faucet and then drips after it is shut off unless cranked really hard. The fixtures say CENTRAL on them and only have one screw (that I can see) in the middle of the handle. I removed the screw but cannot remove the handle. Any tips? If I get it removed what might I be looking for in order to fix the leaking and make for an easier shut off? Thanks in advance.

KB

Old 08-21-07, 04:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
KB: bottom line, the handle will have to come off, so it is probably corroded on. Try wiggling it and pulling at the same time. It is held on with the screw and slides on splines, so pulling directly off is the only way. Next, you will have to turn off the water to the house. Back in the tub, you will see a collar nut. If it is behind the wall you will need a set of wrenches that look similar to spark plug wrenches, which will allow you to reach behind the wall to remove the stem. Once you have removed the stem/cartridge, take a small flashlight and look into the hole. You will probably find parts of your washer sitting there. Using something like a curved dental pick or hemostats (nice having a nurse for a wife), go in there and clean it out. Replace the washer on the end of the stem, or if you have a cartridge, replace it. Installation is the reverse of demolition. This should stop the leak and make turning it off easier.
Post back with the results.

Old 08-26-07, 08:33 AM
K
Larry,
Thanks for the reply. Have tried again to get handle off and no go. Will probably try again when I return home from work. After that its time for the plumber as I also found the tub drain to be leaking when I opened the access panel. This will most likely lead to drywall repair of the kitchen ceiling as I can't see how he will make the repair from the small access behind the tub. Love old houses... Will keep you posted if I meet with any success. Thanks.

KB

Old 08-26-07, 11:39 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'd be in rough shape doing plumbing in these antique houses I work on, if I didn't have my trusty faucet handle puller. If you ever buy one, do NOT buy some cheap kind that has this nut surrounding the threads that is (supposedly) locked in by crimped-over metal. The nut will pull right through the crimp! on limed up handles. Buy only the puller where there is no nut and the female for the threads is integral in the puller. Liquid solvents cannot get into the threads to free it. That is why you need the puller. I cannot risk damaging other peoples chrome by doing anything other than straight pulling with a puller, whose center shaft goes in the screw hole and whose 2 arms go under the handle and pull it off the stem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: