Toilet Flush Problem

Old 08-24-07, 01:26 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet Flush Problem

Hello,

I've reviewed many other posts on this topic but the problems don't seem to quite match mine.

A toilet on the ground-level of my home (bi-level, so no basement) has recently stopped flushing normally, as in all of the water does not drain from the bowl.

All water will drain and most flushes will be successful if you stand and hold the handle down until the water is out of the bowl. I also opened the tank and notice that the flapper closes well before all of the water drains from the tank.

I installed a "Korky" anti-syphon tank repair kit with flapper some time ago. Flushing was fine after that but has declined to the point we're at now.

Any ideas / suggestions to correct this? Should the flapper be staying up until all water has drained from the tank? If so, is there a way to adjust the timing of it?

Thank you,

Tom

Old 08-24-07, 06:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Tom: shorten the attachment on the chain where it connects to the actuator arm by about 3 lengths. What is happening, the flapper must be turned to about a 30 degree angle in order to over flex until all the water falls out of the tank. Then it will fall back normally. Let us know if that helps.

Old 08-25-07, 05:47 AM
T
Hi,

Taking even one chain link of slack between the arm and flapper causes the flapper to not seat properly. 3 links kept it raised a bit so the tank wouldn't fill. The arm is not perfectly straight, it's a little bent, but even without the bend I don't think I could get 3 links shorter between it and the flapper.

Thanks,
Tom

Old 08-25-07, 07:39 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can buy a replacement flapper that has a turn-dial on it where you can make that adjustment. They are sold next to all the other flappers in big box stores.

Does your current flapper hook onto 2 ears at the bottom of the overflow tube?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: