new tub faucet leaks

Old 09-03-07, 10:58 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
new tub faucet leaks

I replaced my old tub faucet because it was leaking out the back. The new facuet does the same thing though. I used teflon tape to ensure a water tight connection, but it still drips. The faucet I used has a ?male threaded adapter? so I can screw on the shower head hose. The leak only happens when I pull the stopper on the faucet and the water is diverted to the shower head hose. I am guessing it leaks then because it is under more pressure.

I have made sure all connections are taped with teflon and that all connections are tight. What could be the problem?

Thanks.

Old 09-03-07, 02:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Does your faucet spout connect to the pipe via an allen screw. If so, it slips onto the pipe and has "o" rings along its length. Remove the spout and make sure the o rings are still in place (haven't rolled off). Teflon tape ensures an anti seizing property along with a sealing property. But it depends on how tight you made the connections and how many wraps you made with the tape (usually 3 or more).

Old 09-03-07, 10:55 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There isn't any allen bolts on this connection. The universal adapter I got came with an o-ring, but the diagram shows the o-ring is used for another adaptation method. The existing 3/4" plastic thread pipe is what I screwed the new faucet onto. I'm pretty sure I know what connection the leak is coming from..but I used 4+ wraps of teflon tape and made it as tight as possible without breaking it. It almost seems like the faucet is defective, but the last faucet did the same thing; only the old faucet had a hairline crack in the plastic threading and this new one does not.

I'm completely stumped on what is causing the leak... any other ideas?

Thanks!

Old 09-04-07, 03:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
If you have a cpvc spout leader, you probably have the worst set up possible. The torque you put on the plastic could lead to a failure. IMO these should always be either copper or iron pipe. with that said, the leak could be coming from just behind the wall. Try this. Buy a cap to place on the end of your spout leader and turn the water on. Bet you find the leak this time. Let us know.

Old 09-05-07, 08:15 PM
N
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
could be not a faucet at all

i know nothing about the faucets or plumbing in general, but I do know that in my case it was a pinhole leak in the pipe about 1.5 ft. away from the faucet that was shooting towards the faucet and made it look like it was leaking. just a thought.. how old is the plumbing

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: