Must I replace Moen with Moen tub/shower faucet?

Old 09-04-07, 04:02 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Must I replace Moen with Moen tub/shower faucet?

We have an old Moen tub/shower faucet with a pull out plastic handle. Moen tells me this has a "standard valve" and I can only replace it with a faucet that has a "standard valve". That limits me to exactly one Moen model: T2529 which comes in two finishes, chrome or brass; otherwise I would have to rip out the wall behind the tub. There is a round plate about 7" in diameter behind the current pull out handle. I assume the plumbing parts are behind that.

I would really like a brushed nickel/brushes chrome fixture and not necessarily Moen, but do not want to rip out the wall and tile. Are there any other options? Nothing is wrong with the faucet--it's just old and outdated.

Any ideas? thanks!

Old 09-04-07, 04:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Is the control valve leaking? Are you making this change for looks alone? If the latter, the large plate can be replaced, but you are right in stating that it will probably be a moen. Changing the valve plate, the spout and the shower arm, is just about all you need to change to make a new look. I had bought a replacement Delta cover plate for a customer, but bought the wrong one. Since the supply house was a long way from her house, I finished up the job, took her existing plate, cleaned it with a non abrasive cleaner, and reinstalled it just until I could get the right one. I left her a note, but she didn't see it. She raved about how neat the new bath stuff looked, so shiny. I asked about the note, and she responded to forget the new plate, since the old one cleaned up so well.
This is just to say unless they are pitted, they clean up really well.

Old 09-04-07, 09:03 PM
A
Unhappy Must I replace Moen with Moen tub/shower faucet?

Larry, nothing is leaking, it's just that I HATE the plastic pull out knob. The metal parts could probably be cleaned up but the plastic knob cannot be changed except for another plastic knob. It sounds like I'm stuck with the "standard valve" Moen. Well the good news is as faucets go, the only one I can get to replace this one is among the least expensive!

Old 09-14-07, 08:57 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Original Poster - There is an off brand out there that makes trim kits for all MOen valves that can be picked up at Lowe's or Home Depot, the name is calle Danco, now, I would never recommend them in any other case but the valve you have is very old and all of the up to date trim kits have been discontinued so to get away from the clear acrylic knob you can either purchase a conversion kit that will alllow you to have a metal plain handle or the monticello number you posted would be the only other alternative without changing the valve behind the wall. (which is very costly if you dont know how to solder or have no access panel

Old 09-15-07, 02:17 PM
A

Thanks for the Danco suggestion. I expect you do not generally recommend it because of its quality or lack of it. I have never seen Danco at the big box stores but shall look for it. Our house is about 25-30 years old and assume the Moen cartridge is the original. Builders should be forced to include an access to all shower faucets w/o forcing the homeowner to tear down the wall! Our shower faucets in both bathrooms are back to back and the walls are tiled. Thanks again.

Old 09-16-07, 05:48 AM
25 to 30 years would be condisidered the life exectancy of a faucet. The expectation is that by this age, you are doing a bathroom remodel. This is why parts support wanes for older faucets.....the demand for any part for an old faucet drops off.

Now, you have a bathroom which has been well maintained, and you would like to get some more years of service. Nothing wrong with that, and fortunately , you have a brand and model of shower which was installed in HUGE numbers, and a company ( Moen ) which is still a strong leader in the industry, and does not make frivoulus changes in parts compatibility as time goes by.

Moen used to make lever handel trim kits for the old Legend and Chateau models. I don't know if they do anymore. Sound like they did suggest one model for you , but it may not be to your liking. As mentioned, Danco, sold in Home Depot, and another aftermarket company sold in Lowes, have kits in the popular finishes, but for your model, the lever may not be available. You may have to settle for new trim in a finish you like, and a knob you don't! But it is worth a call to Danco, because they have a huge catalog, and HD stocks only a small portion of it. They might have something available.

I can tell you that lever handle on a pull out shower are not a good idea, because people sometimes think they need to pull up on the lever, and that can cause trouble.

Anyway, good luck on your search.

Old 09-16-07, 10:08 AM
A

Interesting observation about errors people make when faced with a lever on a pull out faucet! (could post a warning sign!)

My current Moen has its shower diverter on the eschucheon and the new Monticello trim kit has the diverter on the spout. Will this pose a problem?

I will also check with Danco. Thanks for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: