American Standard shower faucet leak

Old 09-07-07, 08:10 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
American Standard shower faucet leak

I don't see this problem treated in another post. Can anyone help?

I have had an intermittent drip from the tub spiget. Today, I finally got around to replacing the cartridge in the single lever American Standard Reliant model valve. My new problem is that the drip is gone if the handle is turned off toward the hot water side but a constant trickle if turned off toward the cold water side. I checked for debris inside and didn't see any. (Of course, my eyes aren't quite what they used to be) With the lever in the off position and moved from hot to cold, you can hear a hiss begin as the water starts to trickle at about the half way point. The cartridge instructions just say to 'tighten the adjustment nut until force rises sharply'. I'm reluctant to tighten the nut further especially since there is no drip when turned off at the hot setting. The handle feels about normal when moved.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 09-08-07, 10:52 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Maybe someone else can come onboard and help, as I am uncertain in my head as to what faucet you have that shuts off at hot and cold with one control. But just as a guess on your syptoms I'd guess that some 'stop' mechansim is shifted so that you are not really turned off when you think you are. Is there some plastic device inside that can be rotated some?

Old 09-09-07, 08:45 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I'm working on a single lever control valve. It has a cartridge inside the valve body with three ceramic pieces that channel the water to different ports depending on the lever handle position. Left/right for hot/cold and up/down for on/off.

I've disassembled the valve again to check for debris or an o-ring out of place. I have also checked the plastic adjustment nut to confirm I didn't crossthread during assembly. I do notice a VERY LIGHT scratch left in the brass valve body. Probably from when the o-ring was picked out. It's hardly worth mentioning since it's in the o-ring groove and I would expect the o-ring has enough elasticity to seal it.

I cranked the adjustment nut alittle tighter and the trickle is reduced but not eliminated. Is this the usual solution? I'm just paranoid about stripping the plastic nut or cracking a ceramic piece.

Old 09-09-07, 10:23 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'm not sure, on this valve body. I'd have to see it.

But I can say generally, if you put a scratch in the inside of the brass valve body that the cartridge slips into, that is not where the water passes to be turned on or shut off. If that sratch was a problem water would weep out by your handle instead.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: