Toilet cistern wont fill with water, strange setup (with pic)

Old 09-08-07, 09:20 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Toilet cistern wont fill with water, strange setup (with pic)

My toilet won't fill with water, i had a look, but im completely lost, help! plz? lol

A very small amount of water is constantly dripping down so after about 4 or 5 hours theres eventually enough water to flush

The thing is, its not a normal ball thats in it, its some strange setup that i dont recognise, and unfortunately my camera is broke as well (yeah im having bad month) so i made a drawing to show what its like, so excuse the dodgy picture but it can be found here;
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/2051/image1lw8.jpg

I stripped it down but like i said at the top, im completely lost, having never repaired a normal toilet, i dont have a clue where to start with this one!

Old 09-08-07, 10:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
For about $10, get a Fluidmaster 400 and replace the valve system. You have trash in your valve and it won't open properly. You could flush it out, but IMO replacing the entire unit is best.

Old 09-08-07, 10:40 AM
M
When you say that the toilet is not filling with water, do you mean the tank isn't filling, or the bowl isnt filling? If its the tank that isn't filling, I would bet it is either a blocked supply line (that runs from the wall to the toilet tank), or a clogged ballcock/fill valve. If it is the bowl that isn't filling, I would check and make sure that the refill tube is properly placed in the overflow pipe. Now being you said that the "guts" of the toilet aren't typical of how most toilets are, it may be difficult to actually diagnose the problem without an actual photo.

Old 09-08-07, 10:44 AM
E
Just replace that whole thing and be done with it. Get a Fluidmaster 400. Cost about $7-8 at home centers including tax.These are 5-15 minute changeouts for experienced people, and only require ONE tool, usually - a small channellocks type wrench.

While old fill-valve you drew for us is out, you can try to flush the line out that comes out your floor or wall to see how the water volume is there - if THAT is really the source of your problem or not. You can buy flexible tube to connect to shut off valve, tremporarily, so you can flush out the water into a pail.

Old 09-08-07, 12:11 PM
J
thanks for the replies guys!
just to clear things up, its the tank that isnt filling not the bowl, and the water is definitely reaching the unit inside the tank no problem, because the first time i had it apart i turned the main water supply on just a little bit to see if water was reaching it ok, but it ended up blowing water all over the bathroom floor, lol!
I had a few of those blue water tablets in the tank a couple of months ago and have recently read that they are the main cause of blocked valves, so thats probably whats caused it!
When you guys say the valve, is that the rubber disk inside the unit? if so then ill take it out and give it a good clean up, if that still doesnt work then i might have a look for one of these fluidmaster 400s.

Old 09-08-07, 01:34 PM
M
Those drop in tablets aren't a good idea for several reasons. The biggest problem is that the chlorine in them will eat away at the inner mechanisms of the tank, like the flapper, and eventually cause leaks, water loss, wasted money, and headaches. Cleaning out the ballcock/fill valve may solve the problem, but if not, just pop in a new fill valve like the other guys were saying and your problem should be solved. (The fill valve is that entire unit, not just the rubber disk).

Old 09-08-07, 03:23 PM
E
Originally Posted by Jimmy345 View Post
thanks for the replies guys!
just to clear things up, its the tank that isnt filling not the bowl, .
And if water is getting to the tank, but not filling it, the Fluidmaster 400 fixes that. That is the fill valve/float all in one neatedly designed unit. Look for them in the plumbing aisles of home centers and elsewhere. They are sold in this green,white and red cardboard box that is 3 x 3 x 12 1/2 inches.

Last edited by ecman51; 09-08-07 at 03:25 PM. Reason: corrected dimensions to spec
Old 09-08-07, 05:11 PM
J
ok, thanks for clearing that up for me, i was thinking the valve was just a small part inside the unit, and dont worry, i wont be touching those blue things again!
Fluidmaster here i come

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: