Moen single handle tub/shower no regulation

Old 09-10-07, 08:22 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moen single handle tub/shower no regulation

I have a Moen single handle tub/shower faucet that was installed about 10 - 12 years ago. Turning the handle in one direction gives cold water at what is probably full volume. Turn it a little in the other direction and the water goes full hot and runs much slower. There is no regulation of cold to warm to hot. It is either full cold or full hot. Any ideas?

Old 09-10-07, 03:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
At that age, it is probably a good time to replace the cartridge. I don't know the model you have, but generically the cartridge is not a difficult task to change out. If you need specific instructions, let us know the model number or name.

Old 09-10-07, 03:45 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi, The Moen's I worked on had plastic knobs when turned counter clockwise they went from cold to hot ( if the cartridges were installed correctly). The knob turned about 180 degrees. The volume was controlled by pulling thhe knob out. I have seen the problem you have when the plastic knob is broke and will turn 360 Degrees.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 09-11-07, 05:35 PM
J
Question Moen - single handle shower -- 2 months old... BROKEN??

Hi, I'm new to this post. We just redid our bathroom and the shower was replaced with a Moen single handle shower/tub faucet. Today I turned on the water but then switched the tub switch to shower, it pressed a little harder than usual. Tried to turn the shower handle on and it won't budge. It won't slide left or right (hot/cold). It just won't come on at all. Is this something we can easily investigate and replace or do you suggest enlisting the services of a plumber. The plumber who installed it for us is not answering and we have no shower! Any thoughts on what is making it stuck? Thanks!!!

Old 09-11-07, 06:34 PM
E
jinla,

This job is doable.

Take out the Moen cartidge:

First turn off the water to your whole house.

If you have an acrylic handle (plastic) remove the cap cover in the middle with sharp boxcutter knife in the perimeter crack of it and gently pry of. Then unscrew the center phillips screw and remove handle.

Or instead, if you have the metal handle, look for an allen set screw underneath. Unscrew the screw the whole (take it out) way and handle will come off. Make sure it don't drop in your tub.

[For metal handle faucet only, you have to unscrew that phillips screw holding on this other piece, (that has the white gears behind it). [I just did one of these today...but I do these jobs all the time.] Keep track of orientation. The big end faces down. Remember that.]

Remove those white geared plastic pieces, keeping track of orientation!

Remove that approx. 1 1/4 inch diameter chrome sleeve. it just pulls out/no threads. It may feel stuck in there due to lime around rubber gasket.

Now the cartridge is exposed. You will see a bronze color skinny looking tuning fork shape piece that is at the front of the cartridge. (It has a little hole in the front tab of it, just so you know what you are looking at.) That is what holds the cartridge in. Remove it. Just pull it out.

Now the cartridge will pull out. But they pull out hard, almost always. Put the screw back in the shank. Now use vice grips you lock around the head of the screw, and yank, steady but firm. Brace yourself so that when it lets loose you do not go flying backwards! Believe me; it does just pull out once that bronze 2-prong fork is out. First the shaft comes out, say, 3/4 of an inch. Then that stops moving, and then the fun begins. That is when you have to apply good pressure with the steady tug.

Once out, inspect cartridge and the port holes in the valvebody itself.

With assistance have someone turn on house water while you confirm water flies out the valve body. Have relay team of people who can holler to basement to have that someone quickly turn the water back off when you yell. Make sure water cannot run down the inside of the wall of the shower! Even though this will deteriorate, I have already slid the cardboard tube of a paper towel roll over it. It lasts long enough to do a quick flushing out of the lines. If you plan on longer flushing, you will have to use something else that will last. Or lay something underneath the valve body hole.

Get a new cartridge. The cartridge is free on exchange, no questions asked; lifetime warrantee - if you return old one when you get new one.

At installation, orient the notch side at the tip of the stem, up. Only one side of the brass cartridge stem has that little offset notch. If your old cartridge had a little metal washer that slid over the stem on it, remove it off the old one to reuse on this one!

Old 09-11-07, 09:23 PM
J
So, the cartridge needs replacing?

Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
jinla,

This job is doable.

Take out the Moen cartidge:

First turn off the water to your whole house.

If you have an acrylic handle (plastic) remove the cap cover in the middle with sharp boxcutter knife in the perimeter crack of it and gently pry of. Then unscrew the center phillips screw and remove handle.

Or instead, if you have the metal handle, look for an allen set screw underneath. Unscrew the screw the whole (take it out) way and handle will come off. Make sure it don't drop in your tub.

[For metal handle faucet only, you have to unscrew that phillips screw holding on this other piece, (that has the white gears behind it). [I just did one of these today...but I do these jobs all the time.] Keep track of orientation. The big end faces down. Remember that.]

Remove those white geared plastic pieces, keeping track of orientation!

Remove that approx. 1 1/4 inch diameter chrome sleeve. it just pulls out/no threads. It may feel stuck in there due to lime around rubber gasket.

Now the cartridge is exposed. You will see a bronze color skinny looking tuning fork shape piece that is at the front of the cartridge. (It has a little hole in the front tab of it, just so you know what you are looking at.) That is what holds the cartridge in. Remove it. Just pull it out.

Now the cartridge will pull out. But they pull out hard, almost always. Put the screw back in the shank. Now use vice grips you lock around the head of the screw, and yank, steady but firm. Brace yourself so that when it lets loose you do not go flying backwards! Believe me; it does just pull out once that bronze 2-prong fork is out. First the shaft comes out, say, 3/4 of an inch. Then that stops moving, and then the fun begins. That is when you have to apply good pressure with the steady tug.

Once out, inspect cartridge and the port holes in the valvebody itself.

With assistance have someone turn on house water while you confirm water flies out the valve body. Have relay team of people who can holler to basement to have that someone quickly turn the water back off when you yell. Make sure water cannot run down the inside of the wall of the shower! Even though this will deteriorate, I have already slid the cardboard tube of a paper towel roll over it. It lasts long enough to do a quick flushing out of the lines. If you plan on longer flushing, you will have to use something else that will last. Or lay something underneath the valve body hole.

Get a new cartridge. The cartridge is free on exchange, no questions asked; lifetime warrantee - if you return old one when you get new one.

At installation, orient the notch side at the tip of the stem, up. Only one side of the brass cartridge stem has that little offset notch. If your old cartridge had a little metal washer that slid over the stem on it, remove it off the old one to reuse on this one!

Thank you for this GREAT and very THOROUGH response! So it sounds like something broke, inside... is that what you are saying? So it is a broken cartridge that needs to be replaced? That's so strange that it would just BUST after only 2 months of use! It's like the nozzle is just plain locked! I can turn it left or right... It's the plastic one (looks like brushed metal). I'm probably going to be the one to do this... as (gulp) my husband's handyman skills are well... let's just say, less than handy .

Old 09-13-07, 04:49 PM
E
Cripes. You probably only have a stripped out handle on the inside. This THE most common problem with Moens with the plastic handle! What happens is either people turn them off too hard thinking this will stop the immediate post-shower drips (it won't), or the cartridge is getting sticky and adds extra resistance. In that case, once you get the new handle and you work it and it feels tough to turn, you also need a new replacement cartridge. I have taken them apart lubing them but I will not get into explaining that to you as the cartridges are free.

Just remove the handle, flip it over and see if the tube-like protruding part of the plastic that fits the valve stem is broke.

Old 09-14-07, 08:52 AM
M
If you only have to rotate your handle to turn the water on instead of having to pull it out at all, it's a posi-temp pressure balanced valve. You need to either clean your cartridge which I can email you or you need to get a new cartridge in there model # 1222B or Just 1222.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: