Price Pfister single handle faucet removal

Old 09-12-07, 10:07 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Price Pfister single handle faucet removal

I am trying to remove a single handle Price Pfister kitchen faucet and am at my wits end. Under the sink there is a horseshoe shape bracket with a screw in a sheath that holds the faucet in place. The screw and sheath are welded together by rust.I have tried wd40, wrench/screwdriver combo, a hammer, disassembling faucet from top side (nope) and a sawsall (dangerous). PResently I have put the new faucet in the left hand hole and the water filter in the right hole and have a pretty destroyed nonfunctioning faucet in the center hole. Help me before my dear hubbie comes home from Asia and laughs. Local hardware store suggested I just replace the sink (which is stainless steel) - is this my only option? If so, hard hard is it to do by yourself?

Old 09-13-07, 05:07 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I know the type mount you are talking about. But I can't recall how far up the threads the nut goes. I recall that some mfg.'ers of such a mount system includes this wrench for tightening the nut.

Can you get any type of socket on that nut? If the nut is too far up there, you can buy hollow core nut drivers. They look like a screwdriver only they have a socket on the end. But even if the bolt is 3 inches hanging down from the nut, the nutdriver will still be able to get at the nut! Something even a deepwell socket can't do.

That would be stage 1. Stage 2 then would be in turning the nut with all the rust. You may have to lock a vice grips around the handle of the nut driver, or giant channellocks to gain leverage to snap it loose.

Old 09-13-07, 06:47 PM
S
Thanks for the thoughts - but it seems the nut - if it is one, is about 2" long and connected to the horseshoe bracket with the non-philips screw in the center welded/rusted in. From what I can tell, the screw is meant to be backed out to release the faucet above. I tried a socket wrench with a hammer with no luck. Just picked up a grinder with a metal blade to see if I can go through the steel nut/sheath from the top side (hopefully will do what I had intended the sawsall to do with less dangerous results).

I am open to any other ideas - do you think drilling the screw and using a come back (I think that's what it's called) woudld work?

Entertained thought of replacing sink until i realized the under mount sink is probably sandwiched between the tile counter and the plywood base.

Old 09-14-07, 03:05 AM
G
The bolt that the 2" long nut screws on to threads into the faucet itself. Concentrate on the nut and what the last post said. Either the nut has to come off or the threaded "bolt" will unscrew for the faucet. Either should work. If you have to, cut the nut off from underneath. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: