Closet flange problems - Please Help

Old 09-18-07, 07:17 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Closet flange problems - Please Help

Problem # 1.

I am putting down ceramic tile in one of my bathrooms. When I pulled the commode the flange was broke on both sides. This would not be a problem if it was normal flange but it is an offset to the rear flange. I don't need any extra height as I removed 5/8 inch particle board and put back down 1/2 inch hardibacker board over plywood. I am thinknig since the flanges only function is to hold the commode down to just put in screw in type studs directly in the floor and forget trying to repair the flange. What do you think?

Problem # 2.

How do you reset the commode on an offset flange using a no leak wax ring, the kind with the short funnel? If the flange was round would be no problem but I'm thinking the funnel won't line up with the hole which is at the front of the offset flange. All help appreciated!

Old 09-18-07, 09:11 PM
P
if the flange is only broken where the closet bolts would mount, i don't see why you can't just put in some studs through the subfloor. they sell some studs that are the same bolt thread on one end as a regular set of closet bolts and on the other end look like lag bolts. nice coarse wood threads. you can just screw these into the floor and mount the toilet as usual.

you can not use the wax rings that have the plastic funnel if you have an offset flange. are you on a raised foundation or concrete slab? if you're on a rased foundation, i'd crawl under the house and see why the offset was used. maybe you can cut it out and put in a regular flange. it could be that it comes down on a floor joist or beam and it's not a practical repair though. you can just use one of the regular wax rings, they work fine. if you're nervous about that, they sell a ring that has a urethane ring in it.

paul

Old 09-19-07, 12:50 AM
D
Water Closet Flange Problems

Thanks Paul:

I have a wood floor but finished basement and can't get to the pipe to see why the offset was used. What you described as far as the lag bolts was exactly what I was thinking regarding attaching the commode directly to the floor rather than the flange.

I appreciate the info that you can't use the wax rings with the funnel on an offset flange. Not familiar with the wax ring that has the urethane ring.

What does the urethane ring do for the wax ring?

Old 09-20-07, 12:09 AM
P
all it really does is give it a bit more "body" and it's a little taller. the best advice i can give you is to just be very carefull when you mount the toilet. set it straight down on the flange and you shouldn't have any problems with the regular wax rings.

paulh

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: